Alcantara

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard_rip

I need to get some bits of the interior retrimmed, anyone know a company that can do it and get the colour right? Or does anyone know where I can buy the material?

Good luck is all I can say unfortunately.

The original manufacturers as I understand it no longer manufacture this colour and when someone approached them about running a one of job the quantity that would be enough to retrim all the cars probably.

There are people out there with some 'stored' for the future (guilty as charged :p ) but its horrendously expensive. If you manage £150 per square meter you've had a good day.

As for trimming, it's a fairly simple seat design so the base especially is easy enough to do for a competent trimmer. The backrests can be done, but to date nobody has been able to find someone to do the 'Ford Racing' embroidery. Or at least not taken the plunge to have a go when the alcantara is too expensive to test on.

XAF said:
[post]360894[/post] There are people out there with some 'stored' for the future (guilty as charged :p ) but its horrendously expensive. If you manage £150 per square meter you've had a good day.

As for trimming, it's a fairly simple seat design so the base especially is easy enough to do for a competent trimmer. The backrests can be done, but to date nobody has been able to find someone to do the 'Ford Racing' embroidery. Or at least not taken the plunge to have a go when the alcantara is too expensive to test on.

I know of two trimmers that can do that but as you say £150 psm is an expensive test!

I've had a few responses from companies that are all confident of doing good job, but would either need me to supply material or would have to use a slightly different colour. One guy also said he would do the seats complete with ford racing stitching etc.

It's tricky to know what to do with it, the steering wheel, gaiters, and drivers seat base all look shite and I want the car looking great again. I'm not going to get hold of any material by the looks of it so I'm left with two options really, leave as is which really lets the interior down, or get it redone in a slightly different colour. The obvious problem with the different colour is I'd need to get the whole thing done together :?

I've seen other alcantara that is only a fraction off in shade, and not silly money. As stupid as it sounds it may cost less to get the whole thing redone in different but close alcantara then just fix what's broken with genuine stuff

Retrim in a similar colour, the only way you'd know then is by parking up next to another

Would be good to know what you want to retrim so people know how much you would need

XAF said:
[post]360894[/post] The backrests can be done, but to date nobody has been able to find someone to do the 'Ford Racing' embroidery. Or at least not taken the plunge to have a go when the alcantara is too expensive to test on.

Not entirely true.....

This is how it was when I got the FRK seats

And after redoing them...

And the 'Ford Racing'

It was piece of cake, really. You have to supply the company doing the embroidery with logos Ford and Racing in eps (encapsulated post script) format (basically it is vector file meaning the final product can be as big as possible without loss in quality) and tell them how big you want it to be.
If someone wants, I can supply him with both logos.

Regarding the alcantara, on http://www.alcantara.com/cms-web/upl/entities/box/Automotive_cartellacolori_2.pdf you can see their range of material in standard colours. The 6408 is the closest to the FRP material but not as vibrant in colour. If you redo the complete interior noone will notice, I guess, given that the original has faded away after 16 years anyway.

IIRC the grey alcantara for retrimming of my seats put me back 200 euros just to put things in perspective and some material was left over (I guess enough for the door cards and most probably the steering wheel had I opted for that).
The embridery was tossed in for free when retrim was done (as I payed for the actual work separately).

So, no reason to be affraid of Ford Racing logo, it is the least of your FRP worries :wink:

PS: The same applies to the sparco logo

Blue3 said:
[post]360913[/post] Would be good to know what you want to retrim so people know how much you would need
Bentleya said:
[post]360917[/post] How much material do you need? I have some which I may part with.

I'm not sure how much exactly, these are the bits that desperately need doing
Steering wheel
Gearstick gaiter
Hand brake gaiter
Drivers seat base

If I could get hold of enough material to replace that lot I think the other bits could be brought back to life as it were. If you anyone has some material they're willing to part with I'd be willing to exchange a few notes for it :grin:

Righty, I have a 650mm x 500mm piece of genuine FRP Alcantara material i'm willing to sell.

£220 including the delivery.

IMG_6197.JPGIMG_6196.JPGIMG_6195.JPG

If you were just thinking of just doing the wheel, and gaiters I would give thought to using early Audi rs8 material, the colour very similar.
http://trshop.audi.com/konakart/SelectProd.do;jsessionid=EB3A079D049D4DB1CC17DB4D8CEE7489.tomcat01?prodId=26973&manufacturer=manufacturer&name=ALCANTARA%20KOBALTBLUE%20COVER&model=0001

I've always wanted to get a rough interior and re trim the lot, and finish it off by do the roof and all six pillars.

Bentleya said:
[post]360949[/post] Righty, I have a 650mm x 500mm piece of genuine FRP Alcantara material i'm willing to sell.

£220 including the delivery.

View attachment 1View attachment 2
Thanks for getting back to me. I've spoken to a few companies today and I'm waiting for prices back on various options so I can decide which way I'm going

Bentleya said:
[post]360949[/post] £220 including the delivery.
You sure you didn't measure up a bit of the Turin Shroud by mistake? That works out to £677 a square metre.

Frank said:
[post]360993[/post]
Bentleya said:
You sure you didn't measure up a bit of the Turin Shroud by mistake? That works out to £677 a square metre.

I'm going to start growing alcantara and give up work early lol

stuvy said:
[post]361003[/post]
Frank said:
[post]360993[/post]
Bentleya said:

I'm going to start growing alcantara and give up work early lol

I can't wait to see you have a crack at that Stuvy, it's basically 2/3rds polyester and a third polyurethane, you'll have to plant some 70's slacks and seat cushioning to start with :grin:

Latest posts

Back