Alcon convertion to Brembo or other mainstream brand/

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xrion236

Ok so there is alot of debate about alcons some negative some positive, anyway not that i cant afford the upkeep of said Alcon brakes i wouldnt mind converting to a more mainstream "Easier to get hold of parts" brand. Anyone got any links to some that will fit the FRP and what might need doing to get them to fit?

erm...not quite sure what you mean by 'hard to get hold of' parts....

see my guide on how to look after the alcons...because you wont get a similar setup as powerful....

hispec discs for alcons via hispec = £200.....brembo rs discs are £330
pads via hispec are £70
pistons via hispec are a tenner each, ford want 40...brembo ones prob 30
seals are approx £3.50 each from demon tweeks
power....4x 38mm pistons and 4x 41mm pistons....because theres no dust seal the pistons are huuuuge = just over 1g braking force....check the piston sizes against brembo's etc...bet there not as big...

have the calipers powder coated inside and out (like brembo do) and they will last a lifetime, swap all the bolts for stainless ones (£20) and your laughing....

i havent had any problems with mine the last 4 times iv changed pads / 2x iv changed discs...
all i do is take the pads out every oil service, blast the pistons and caliper with brake aerosol cleaner, scrub with a toothbrush and spray clean....its a 30min job! its not hard!

Thanks Jacko wasnt really up to getting rid of the Alcons tbh just thought that parts like most things on the FRP were starting to get a bit outdated but aslong as Hi-spec are still making parts for them ill stick with them.

your biggest problem on alcons are things like the veins, if they corrode or need replacing you are talking $$$ to replace

alcons are fine if you have a decent set and keep them that way but they are money eaters if parts start to corrode id inspect your alcons, completely strip down, analyze if it all looks corroded i would buy something else

sorry im wrong about the veins, i read somewhere that curved veins were 200 quid each, i assumed it was the bridge pipe which is 25 quid each.

The curved veins was in relation to the discs. Which are about 200 quid each

I would still recommend stripping down your alcons to see what state they are in, if they are unsalvagable I would buy something else to replace rather then another set if money is an issue, or if you havent got the time to quite frequently strip down the alcons to keep them servicable

ScubaSteve said:
sorry im wrong about the veins, i read somewhere that curved veins were 200 quid each, i assumed it was the bridge pipe which is 25 quid each.

The curved veins was in relation to the discs. Which are about 200 quid each

I would still recommend stripping down your alcons to see what state they are in, if they are unsalvagable I would buy something else to replace rather then another set if money is an issue, or if you havent got the time to quite frequently strip down the alcons to keep them servicable

They still bite somewhat and they have been maintained by a garage :roll: but thats still hardly what i would call ideal. Im dreading taking the things off to find they are knackered and cant refit them! Its my daily runner (only 12 miles each way).

Bring them up mate.. ;) hopefully you'll make it back down again... :lol:

even if the shells were knackered, iv'e got spare castings now too (new and second hand)...

Iv'e got all issues covered, so they'll be spot on when you leave here... :cool:

As far as rot goes, the gap behind the pad guides is the main problem area... when the shells are re-painted and the gap filled with silicone it keeps them good for around 2 years i'd say.... just done mine after 2 years and they were in really good shape, didn't even bother to remove the pad guides as there was no corrosion there...makes the service time a fair bit quicker...

Rgds

Chris

Ill be down/up in august if thats ok i've got a week off then. Wish i could pop up this week but im sorting some stuff out at home.

bit of a thread hi jack, but is there anything i can do to these wilwoods before i put them on permanently to protect them?

same as any other aluminium caliper i guess...just keep an eye on them every spring.. :cool:

just a shame Alcon didn't do a more thorough and bullit proof coating on the FRP shells... The Brembo's are fully black anodised even into the screw threads before the coating is applied...not a big fan of the laquered finish personally, as it cracks and yellows over time but they're certainly maintenance free for much longer..

:)

Back