Almost ran out of fuel!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinblueprint

...like a noob!

Yeah I was driving back from Cambridge to Notts today and (for some reason) didn't refuel when I had the chance.

So I was 12miles away from the next services, with the fuel warning light on and literally fumes left!
Man, dunno what I would have done if I had ran out there and then!
I ended up doing about 40mph to conserve fuel or in case the power steering packed up as the fuel ran out. I made it to the services in the nick of time. Do Pumas have a reserve tank?

It's scary being on the motorway knowing you're gonna konk out at any time.

How many miles did you drive whilst the light was on? Most say more than 40 miles with the light on is starting to get risky.

I've scared myself in the FRP on the motorway before (especially as #013 really has an appetite for fuel too). I was in a similar situation to you - I think I ended up doing about 35mph all the way to the services. Mind you, blatting along at 85mph right up till before the light came on probably wasn't the best idea!

Yeh I know it's illigal (according to Clarkson), but I was already on the motorway and the situation arose while there.

What does one do if you DO actually run out?

When i've run out on the bike i've just pulled over and either phoned for help or walked to the nearest services.

Breakdown cover will get you going and I think in some cases the Highways agency patrols will help.

As has been noted 40 miles with the light on is comfortable.

If you lose the pwer and thus the power steering and braking you will still be able to steer and brake, though the effort is greater.

Restarting once refuelled is simply a matter of churning the starter in the normal manner. Do it in a diesel and it's a lot more grief

think yourselves lucky, i laugh when the light comes on in my wifes puma, in my car (2.9 v6) the light comes on and it isnt a warning it comes on and it basicly means that it your nackered lol i usualy get 2 or 3 miles before its caughing and spluttering.

i used to work for a guy driving vans he had a shell fuel card i hated it you go to norfolk or down south and shell stations are like hens teeth many many times i was right up the arse of an HGV trying to draft him to boost the mpg, i never actualy ran out but several times the van was spluttering when i pulled into the shell station.

ive been doing my usual commute between notts and mansfield when my light came on .... in notts lol... i made it to mansfield with no problems and thats 25miles.... i wasnt worried.... ok so i was shitting it lol but i was so stubborn that I didnt want to pay the extortionate prices that they charge at the none supermarket garages.

I've chickened out after 41 miles on the fuel light, and got 39.73 litres in (brimming it until I could see the fuel like I normally do) so I probably could have got home - another 8 miles away, but might not have got back to the Shell garage again in the morning!

last time I did that I did 56miles at 55mph to Whetherby services lol...

was going to fill up at Durham Shell garage and it was shut, and so was shell after Scotch Corner and the next services was Whetherby :shock:

but shes did it lol

From home to where the petrol station is, there's regularly a lot of traffic, so didn't want to risk it that time! :pinkeye: So you win! lol

lol.. I think she was running on my adrenaline lol.. was bricking it.. maybe the shouting 'cmon' may have helped lol!

It is only illegal on the motorway :)

I drove all the way home from Reading once- about 35 miles, and even though I knew in theory it should fine I was shitting myself!

Luckily South Mimms is open even at 5am on New Years Day lol

Cherie said:
I've chickened out after 41 miles on the fuel light, and got 39.73 litres in

My 1.7 used to regularly take 42 litres when brimmed from red light + 40 miles

I got 37 litres in mine on firday, i thought it was empty but theres usually more than you think.

Just drove from Wycombe to Oxford then to Swindon, and back to Wycombe yesterday. Used 3/4 of a tank!

Drove Norfolk to the West of Scotland (Inveraray) the week before last. Didn't even use two thirds of a tank :)

Yeah, but your tank is 50% larger than a puma's and has diesel in it Rob!

Latest posts

Back