Another Puma in Fast Ford

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following on from Sam’s Puma being in Fast Ford magazine a couple of issues ago. There is another Puma in the next issue of the magazine (18th March), this time an FRP with nitrous.
Does anyone on here know who’s it’s is, it has its wheels painted gold and has a plate ending FRP. I am waiting in anticipation to read this article as it’s an option I hadn’t considered going down, turbo, super charged but never nitrous.

NOS has been discussed on here on and off. The people that have fitted it certainly seemed to love it.

No issues whatsoever. I think my engine was in particular good order overall when I got it. Plus I'd looked after it well previous to adding the nitrous. Also, I was effectively only running it 20bhp more than the FRP in very short bursts here & there.

I ran "just" 50 bhp boost so I didn't have to worry about any timing issues as 75bhp or more may have needed me to start advancing the timing & stuff thereafter which I couldn't be bothered with. I wanted a simple usable setup that was going to be fun when I wanted to impress or pi$$ people off :twisted:

25 bhp boost was fine but 50 bhp making the car 175 bhp in total was an absolute blast compared to standard & made more sense having the kit. I could have ran to 250 bhp boost on the setup I had but that would have to have been an instant BANG had I ever tried it. Maybe if I'd kept the car till it rusted away then just gave it a last hurrah :lol:

I had a progressive controller to feed it in "gently" rather than all 50 bhp come in instantly which I recomment 100%. That stops a lot of the preconceived damage people associate with it from the rumour mongers :roll: But also stops unwanted handling issues/traction loss if brought in too early in too low a gear, albeit using it for low down torque is where a nitrous kit really earns it's keep. :drive:

Only downside - bottle life, far too addictive ;p

Thank you for your reply, very interesting read. I think you might have made my mind up for me, I could fit this now to my engine and possibly look at building my spare engine up to run forced induction if I wanted at a later date.
I am going to start putting a shopping list together and it will definitely include the progressive controller you mention as otherwise I can the car torque steering itself off the road

Good luck to both of you. Hope you can get a good deal somewhere as not checked in a very long time regarding prices.

I managed to get a fully specced "old model" progressive controller for used trade cost from WON (Wizard of Nos) when I was down there buying the new upgraded Fuel & N2O pulsoids, so it was much cheaper than a brand new latest spec item they had out at the time. I don't even know if WON is still a thing anymore.

As for torque steer - yes, happened to me once in first gear when I accidently activated it which surprised the crap out of me, never again as it was a waste of gas, and nearly underpants :drive:

Won are still going and they're at the top of my list if I can save enough for a kit, around £830 for a wet kit with 11lb bottle. Nitrous express are around half the price but the kits look a bit lacking.

As for torque steer, we're well aquatinted. My mk2 focus st is running around 320bhp and loves a bit of the wrong side of the road under hard acceleration.

Latest posts

Back