anyone ever drilled or gutted there thermostat?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallyeluke

as above i have already gutted the old thermostat from the puma 1.7 16v and tempted to fit it in place of the new one i just bought.

Im aware that mpg will decrease mildly and engine will take longer to warm up but right now the puma is just cooking its self all the time and its turning into an issue of annoyance having bled the coolant system upteen times and yet still no noticable improvement.

Im going to buy a new HCV tommorow from ford and if that does not solve it then im fitting the gutted Thermostat.

All thats left of the old stat now is a simple metal disc with a large hole in the center of it, if that doesnt keep it cool i think i will cry.

removing the thermostat wont stop the engine overheating!!

If you still have problems with overheating after fitting a new correct thermostat then the issue is elsewhere within the cooling system.

Even in high performance cars they usually keep a thermostat and very rarely fit a lower temperature one either.

Your car will be designed to operate with the temperature in a certain band, and the thermostat is meant to open at the lower end of this band.

if your 100% certain theres no air in the system and ALL the hosing and rad is sound and crud free then theres other places to think about - rad fans, rad fan electronics, temperature sensors etc.

If your car is highly modified or being raced then you need to consider uprating your water cooling system and/or working on oil cooling as well. Especially if your doing long races.

A standard engine in a healthy puma can overheat on an open pit lane session on track days if your driving hard for ages - its just operating beyond its intended design limits so not surprising really. Convieniently your average 15-20 minute track session is timed just right for most road cars......

cant remove it, just rip the centre out or it wont seal....yep to mpg etc...

you are using a ford stat arent u? as i state in the guide..... the £2 cheaper non ford ones have been a bit naff when iv used them & car didnt run right

Latest posts

Back