anyone upgraded from IR remote alarm to RADIO?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

fed up of my infra red key. just wondering if its possible to get the sensor and keys from a later radio key car and just code it to the immobiliser?

if anyones doneit id love to have some tips etc as i dont 'do' electronics!!! the smoke keeps coming out the wires and fuses blow the instant i touch a plug!

DSC00515.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

Its a work in process while i make up the new loom!! I am still waiting to go to scrappy to get an old pre 99 alarm module i can canabalise for the connectors.

According to the ford wiring diagrams there is NO link between the PATS and alarm system. They are totally independant.

school boy error this morning, my new remote came for my puma yesterday so changed the key part over took it out to the car and coded it in, went to work this morning the missus went out to the car and low and behold it wouldnt start. i'd forgot to change the red chip part over Doh! safe to say she was not impressed when she had to go back to the house and get the other key

ecu's should be fine as im running an frp ecu with an older loom....

people dont realise that PATS and active alarm are two seperate and exclusive systems. the pats especially as it needs to be independant and on 2 circuits to get the thatcham cat 2 rating.

pats is engine ECU and red/blue chip, alarm is remote unit and ECU in drivers a pillar.

The core difference between early and late alarm systems is that the late system is an integrated electronic module and replaces most of the old fashioned relays and wiring in central junction box with a modern printed circuit board and board mounted relays. Hence the alarm module also controls, wipers, light delay, light buzzer etc and a few other relay controlled functions.

the only thing that concerns me about the conversion is that i will NOT be wiring in the wipers of an older car into the new alarm so it depends if the circuitry will put itself into "fault" mode because things are "missing". Hopefully the alarm aspect of the generic module is electrically seperate in that sense and it will still work correctly. Thats what im hoping anyway!!!

or you can get a 3rd party radio freq alarm?? looking from an electronic point of view, it is simply removing the existing IR receiver with a Radio receiver. But your key will still be the same with an addition radio freq alarm fob thats all.

Yeah, you could always gett some sort of after market system, with the added bonus of better security. Dont forget the standard Puma alarm is quite pointless, its only a perimeter alarm, a decent system will have tilt sensors and motion sensors inside. I used to have a Scorpian Thatcham system on my Ka. If i was in a show off mode it would go 'blip blip' when i locked and unlocked it!

jacko,you could always try this from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REMOTE-CENTRAL-LO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 1|294%3A30

jacko said:
bummer; so i need the 2000 wiring loom.
no just a 99 1/2 alarm box and connectors from the loom. rob a mk5 scrappy fiesta/ egay etc. The way im doing it is a subloom to connect to old pre99 connectors to new post 99 connectors, shouldnt need to chop up loom.

DradusContact said:
Dont forget the standard Puma alarm is quite pointless, its only a perimeter alarm

For what it is, its actually a very well designed alarm system, it just doesnt have all the modern features some modern alarms do.

A tilt sensor and "ultrasonics" in an electrical sense are just two other sensors just like door buttons and i suspect could be easily added. To comply with cat 1 all it really needed on top of that was battery back up for the alarm horn and all black wiring.

Perimeter alarm with double locking is all you need on top of the PATS really. A glass break sensor would be nice i suppose. An alarm these days wont really stop them towing it away anyway.

The real flaw with most after market alarms is the obvious alarm unit in the engine bay. Rip it off and smash it and then you have all the time you need to tow it away. Takes less than 10 seconds for a good thief.

Plus your forgetting most modern cars are stolen by stealing the keys.......

Back