AP Coilovers and wheel size

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethanfitz

Hi everyone...

I went to adjust the height of the ap coilovers on my puma last night and... bugger the grub screw that locks the adjuster ring has been rounded off! does anyone know a trick on how to get it out??

also it will need replacing so can any one tell me the size of these little buggers... m?x??

Secondly a bit of a generic question but if i changed the size of mt wheels (they are 15" atm) to 16" or 17" would my odometer read wrongly and how badly would it effect my MGP??

ethanfitz said:
Secondly a bit of a generic question but if i changed the size of mt wheels (they are 15" atm) to 16" or 17" would my odometer read wrongly and how badly would it effect my MGP??

Providing you fit the correct size tyres, the variation on the odometer is marginal. 17" wheels with 205/40/17 for example actually make the odometer correct as far as speed is concerned, as it understates the speed by about 5 mph as standard.

Try a star drive on the grub screw, usually does the trick. If one doesn't then try a slightly bigger one and tap it in gently.

As above from Cherie, if you buy the correct tyres you can upgrade your wheel size with no problems to the speed/odometer.

I use a few sites regarding wheels and tyres so here's one for you to check :eek:k:

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cool i will give it a go... just got some more grub screws last night... then it rained lots :roll: so i couldn't try it... i also ordered some easy out drill bits supposedly good for getting rounded screws and stuff out safely.

Basically I want to raise the the ride because its right to the bottom of the coilovers and its stupidly harsh on some of the roads round suffolk... but i want to maintain the look of wheel that fit into the arches (dont mind a inch or 2 just not 7-8-9 like the standard lol)... are bigger wheels a good idea or will they add the harshness back on?

As bigger wheels require lower profile tyres to maintain your rolling circumference (i.e. to keep your speedo correct) then yes, bigger wheels will make the ride slightly harsher each time you go up a size. To be honest moving up just one size probably won't make a huge difference but it will be harder nonetheless. :eek:k:

thanks i will keep that in mind if i decide to get bigger wheels...

Bloody previous owner has rounded all the bloody grub screws on each coilover... great... might just take it to a garage to get it raised a bit then at least it will be done properly so i can adjust it after....

Latest posts

Back