Auto Bleed on Coolant?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintGrimm

Just a query (one of thousands).

I want to change my coolant - how would I do it so that I bleed the entire system and not just the radiator?

Also - one of the garage guys said Puma's systems auto-bleed. Is this true?

Thing is, I got back to my house the other day. Pulled up, wasn't a particularly spirited drive, but I could hear the coolant bubbling, so I popped the bonnet just in time to see a few big bubbles rise into the expansion tank.

If anyone could give me a decent step-by-step, I'd be most happy. I remember my MGF had 3 bleeding points D:

The Puma coolant system can be a bit of a pain in the a**e to 'bleed'.

Taking the expansion cap off when the coolant is hot is one way to pull air out... I'm pretty sure I've read that on here.

Also, leaving the expansion cap off while running the engine up to temperature while holding the revs up (can't remember what) is also supposed to get the air out.

There are no bleed points on a std 1.7 cooling system. All you have is an expansion tank to top up, lots of pipes to massage and a heater to put on full hot. The auto bleed is just two thin pipes into the tank, one to the top of the rad and the other joins under the coil pack.

Back