Auxilary Belt Tensioner?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper65

the wife noticed in the past that the car makes a squeel rattling noise at around 2.5 - 3k rpm which seems to come from the engine, I never took much notice until today and heard it for myself.

It doesn't do it all the time and seem to only cut in intermitently, also noticed when it does do it and you hold the revs the same is goes away after a few seconds. the funny thing is I can't get it to do it when the car is stationary?

it sounds like a dry bearing rumbling/squeeling and noticed the Belt Tensioner does rumble a bit at tickover......

Just out of interest should I have changed the Aux belt tensioner when I fitted a new belt some months back? spoke to a guy the other evening who told me its probably the original one on the motor and could do with a change.

the cars covered a tad over 78,000

Could be the tensioner, the aren't the cheapest part to replace on a whim though.

The tensioner is a common part to 'go' on the 1.7 and get very noisy... i had mine done this year and the altenator also as the bearings had gone a little noisy in that too... it sounds so nice now on idle and the car feels slightly perkier too from the reduced drag... i'd suggest any cars that are still on the original one to get it done... the stock count at Daventry i'm sure was down to 19 units, which isn't many considering the amount of 1.7s out there...(there may well be stock in Germany too tho)..

It can be accessed easily with a swivel head ratchet spanner... :grin: :grin:

Finis 1077687 retails at £70 ish

Regards

Chris

Much apreciated Guys!

Top man Chris for the info mate :thumbs: its been rumbling basicaly since we owned the car, its only just now started squeeling slightly like a dry bearing at certain revs......

atb Jasper

might be possible to get just the pulley with a new bearing in? would eb cheaper

el dude said:
The tensioner is a common part to 'go' on the 1.7 and get very noisy... i had mine done this year and the altenator also as the bearings had gone a little noisy in that too... it sounds so nice now on idle and the car feels slightly perkier too from the reduced drag... i'd suggest any cars that are still on the original one to get it done... the stock count at Daventry i'm sure was down to 19 units, which isn't many considering the amount of 1.7s out there...(there may well be stock in Germany too tho)..

It can be accessed easily with a swivel head ratchet spanner... :grin: :grin:

Finis 1077687 retails at £70 ish

Regards

Chris

I was quoted Part Number: 1004481 for the aux belt tensioner and £124 +vat for the aux belt tensioner

What is the difference?

el dude said:
some people also call the idle pulley the tensioner...change that too..lol

Now you have confused me :wink:

This is probably a silly idea but the get the impresion listening to the pully that it just sounds like bearing thats havn't seen a drop of Lubricant for a very long time. If I remove it and the bearings seem ok can they just be Oiled/Greased up and the pully replaced? or will this just be a short term fix?

no... it's non servicable

just replace it tight wad.. :lol:

this is what the idle pulley looks like (may not be the exact part)... but this is NOT the tensioner

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Fiesta-2001-Zetec-S-Idle-Pulley-1139951-Free-P-P-/270740013370?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f095cc13a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the tensioner sounds as if it's coming from the power steering pump area...wheras the idle pulley can be a lot more obvious as it's at the top in the middle nearer the cam cover..

:cool:

here you can see the tensioner in the middle...

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk261/burfyboy/FRP/Cambelt/DSC03206.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's not just a question of the bearing getting noisy...it's the noise on the black rubber 'band' bit on the actual body...so you won't be able to remove it and fix it...it does need replacing..

:)

Much apreciated guys cheers :thumbs:.

what I think is funny is why it only does it while driving, if the car is is parked and the revs picked up it doesn't happen?

the wife told me she noticed it only really does it in first and second when you let the clutch up then a few seconds later you can hear it? must say she is right! just took the car for a drive and she is 100% right for once :grin:.

Back