auxilliary drive belt

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingwells1985

Hi have been looking around my engine compartment and noticed quite a few cracks in my drive belt looks like it needs to be changed,its starting to make me worry the cambelt might be the same i have no service history when the belts were last changed.Thanks for any advice. :-(

Hi Dingwells
If the aux belt is cracked and there's no history of a cambelt change, now's the time to do it.
Barry

dingwells1985 said:
Hi have been looking around my engine compartment and noticed quite a few cracks in my drive belt looks like it needs to be changed,its starting to make me worry the cambelt might be the same i have no service history when the belts were last changed.Thanks for any advice. :-(

Been there just few months ago. Don't risk it. If one of them breaks, the cost of repair will be much higher then the value of the car. If you do it, make sure they change the water pump as well, along with drive- and timing belt.

Aux breaking isn't the end of the world, just means you need to pull over and turn it off because you'll have no PAS, water pump or alternator. Not terminal for the engine though, just inconvenient especially given how easy and cheap it is to change.

Cam belt can be inspected be removing a few of the 10mm bolts that hold the side cover on.

Just an update got my auxilliary drive belt and timing belt replaced at least now ive got peace of mind not worrying about it snapping every time i drive the car,the garage said also that the timing on my car was slightly out now ive got to say she runs like a dream! Now the sad part me parting with lots of cash to the garage :-( .

Sounds like you were lucky; unless the belt was previously replaced with the timing out, it may well have jumped a tooth. Can happen if the installer isn't aware of the special 2-step tensioner setting process that the 1.7 has. My Son's belt jumped and bent the inlet valves :-( My tensioner was also set wrong but I got away with it :)

Bob

Latest posts

Back