Rotten E10 fuel

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrash_it

Sorry if I have repeated this post I did look for 1 but no luck

I have left my 2000 puma 1.7 for the winter and forgot I was running E10 it fast forward 6months and I have started it and it's run for seconds then died realising that I may have sucked water into her can any 1 suggest the best place to pump the bad fuel out and what are the chances of having my cat purring again in good time

I forgot to add the battery is brand new and when I touched the accelerator it died so like a fool I tried again and left it alone and found it died unaided.

Last edited:
Sorry if I have repeated this post I did look for 1 but no luck

I have left my 2000 puma 1.7 for the winter and forgot I was running E10 it fast forward 6months and I have started it and it's run for seconds then died realising that I may have sucked water into her can any 1 suggest the best place to pump the bad fuel out and what are the chances of having my cat purring again in good time

I forgot to add the battery is brand new and when I touched the accelerator it died so like a fool I tried again and left it alone and found it died unaided.
Have you checked that the fuel pump is working ? Apparently a common failure after a time of no use. You should be able to hear it for a couple of seconds when you turn on the ignition. You can check if fuel is getting to the fuel rail, by depressing the Schrader valve on the left hand side of the fuel rail, once of course you have removed the cap, looks like a tyre valve cap

Thanks for your reply John I have now established it's the pump I have a spanking new Lucas 1 on the way hopefully the unit stands up to my heavy hands.

Be aware that there are 3 different types of fuel pump/sender units, which if the wrong one is fitted will cause the fuel gauge to read incorrectly, when I had the Thunder the previous owner had fitted the wrong unit and the fuel gauge wouldn't go below 3/4's , luckily he'd given me the original unit and I just swapped the actual pump.
To just change the actual pump, its fairly obvious to do, once you have drilled out the rivet at the bottom of the sender unit. I replaced the pump on my MSB Puma as preventative maintenance and intend to replace the pump on the Red Puma for the same reason in the next few months.

Back