Back to Puma life

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryVimto

I am happy to announce that I have returned to the Puma life.

Yesterday (5th April) I obtained a 2001 MSB 1.7 Puma.

Had to get it transported as it had no MOT, but that is booked for this coming Wednesday.
PumPum.jpg

Lets not get too excited... took it or an MOT today and the results were not good.

I bought with the knowledge of needing to spend some money on her, but this is beyond my limit.

Well, that's annoying - I hope you know someone handy with a welder!

That said, when it's sorted out, the outer shell doesn't look in too bad knick :)

Needs replacement PAS pipe as that apparently burst during the MOT.

The rear tyre is worn which leads me to believe it's going to need a new wheel bearing. I believe this because the history I got with the car showed it's already had 4 rear wheel bearings on that side and there was a humming noise as I was driving it down the road.

Pum_MOT.png

Last edited:
It's a sad situation mate, I just looked at the MOT history and a lot of that was advisories on the last in 2019 and from then until your MOT it hardly moved, you'd not think it'd have gone to fails on all of it.

What are you going to do?

I was aware of the MOT history and I knew it wouldn't be perfect. My decision to buy was swayed by how it had been stored - in a dry environment which I assumed would have at least helped to, at a minimum, stop it getting any worse.
Obviously I was wrong.

If the front wings are rot free they could be worth a fair bit, I reckon £150ish. Could be the car is worth more as spares. But it could be a question of bite the bullet and get it all welded. I know in pure monetary terms I should have scrapped mine about 10 years ago.

I was aware of the MOT history and I knew it wouldn't be perfect. My decision to buy was swayed by how it had been stored - in a dry environment which I assumed would have at least helped to, at a minimum, stop it getting any worse.
Obviously I was wrong.
Don't despair-if you can't weld this could be the perfect opportunity to learn. The worst of it is underneath so give it a go and if it doesn't work out, as others have suggested, sell as is or break it and scrap whatever is left. I recommend a Clarke 135 TE mig
Rust-wise my recent purchase (Y plate) is probably as bad. Currently replacing corroded areas at the rear and have got as far as the rear beam mounting points. Remove the spare wheel and tray, drop the tank and away you go!
Got to be worth it for rarity value alone-when did you last see one on the road.

For a few smaller/quicker repairs I could have sorted that but long term I have nowhere off road to store it.
I have a friend with a 4 post lift but they have their own car on there for the forseeable future.
I know someone who can weld but they have work commitments.

I'm not going to post any more about it as it's basically a lost project.

Back