BBC to drop F1

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike.

From today's Sunday times

The BBC is poised to drop Formula One motor racing rather than close one of its digital channels.

Its contract to screen F1 for five seasons until 2013 will cost £300m. At about £3m for each race, it is the most expensive BBC programme being broadcast.

Lord Patten, chairman of the BBC Trust, recently signalled that BBC4 could be axed to make up the savings required by the freeze in the licence fee until April 2017.

Now senior sources said the corporation can spare BBC4 if it saves the annual £60m that it spends on F1. An insider said the cost of covering 19 F1 races was more than the entire annual budget of BBC4.

The source said the BBC did not intend to rebid for the F1 contract when it expired in November 2013.

It has emerged that F1 costs £1 a head for every viewer, compared with the average 7p an hour broadcast cost for BBC1 and BBC2. Apart from the British Grand Prix, most races attract only between 2m and 4m viewers.

It costs more for each hour than even the most expensive dramas such as South Riding, Cranford and Doctor Who.

Dumping F1, whose audience is largely male, could ensure that the BBC will be able to keep its grip on Wimbledon, which has a broader audience. Its current contract with the All England Club runs out after 2014.

The BBC is also determined to hang on to its existing football highlights programmes which include Match of the Day and its sister programme Match of the Day 2 on Sunday.

The proposal to dump F1 will be among a package of measures to be put to the BBC Trust in the early autumn. Other measures include cutting daytime schedules on BBC2 and also overnight programming.

It is likely that BBC4 will survive but will reduce its drama output where it has made a mark with biopics of such people as Enid Blyton, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Williams and Margot Fonteyn.

Regrettably they won't dump Top Gear as it makes them money.

I must admit I'd far rather have BBC4 than Formula One, but I also know lots of people enjoy F1 and this will be a bit of a blow for them.

http://f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29802:f1--anchor-jake-humphrey-bbc-formula-1-broadcast-axe-reports-inaccurate&catid=1:f1&Itemid=157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Brundle just tweeted me (yes, really!!) and said best thing we can do is to watch (obviously) and let the BBC know we want them to keep it! I know it's obvious but anyone feeling passionate about this should make the effort in case it makes a difference!

We can do it together!

NEWS TODAY

Source

The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Both companies will broadcast in high definition.

Races screened by the BBC will be live on the BBC Sport website for UK users.

The BBC will have highlights on TV, online and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.

This is really annoying. For some they cant afford sky and already pay out for the TV License. Im lucky and have sky but still annoys me.

Their coverage is going to be poor compared to the great service that the BBC offer. Should ask the presenters if they would reduce their wages from it, that should bring the budget down a fair bit.

Just cant see it being as good on sky.

:(

I'll not be paying Murdoch to watch it so it'll have to be either online streaming or actually go to more Grand Prix from next year :D

The way I can see it going is that those that dont want to pay for sky will just ilegally stream it, meaning sky will no doubt drop it as the costs will outweigh the money coming in. That or they will make it pay per view!

Sheesh, that's one of a very few programmes I actually watch - and even then I only watch it on iplayer. I don't/won't pay for a TV license whose proceeds only go to one broadcaster who in turn broadcasts huge amounts of crap and repeats....and I certainly won't be paying for Sky that's for sure.

Just listened to the head of BBC sport on R5. All the races will be on the Beeb, half being highlight shows.
She made a good point that some GP will be in a better viewing slot (like the 6am start ones will be shown prime time Sunday instead) and what with some GP being totally boring, a highlights show might be better for some of them anyway.
It also guarantees the Beeb have rights to F1 for the next 7 years: better than loosing it altogether to Sky.

If they got rid of Jake Humphrey and the other 2 "woodentops" spouting their pre-race "rubbish" and just showed the race, with Martin Brundle commentating, they would save a lot of time and money.
Would also save me having to fast-forward an hour on my Sky+ box to the beginning of the race!

Empty Bernie promises :(
Bad Bernie!!!!!
Very Bad Bernie!!!!!
:evil: :evil:
I call a F1atwa on FOM

Back