Best brake pads for 258mm discs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobydrew

Hi all,

I'm after a little advise please... I have plenty of wear left on my brake pads (51 plate Puma so think you're 158mm discs) but after fully standing on the brakes today I couldn't even get the ABS to kick in at any speed on a slightly damp road. I recognise that the brakes aren't a strong point of the car but these seem pretty poor at the moment.

I've searched around the forum but can't really find a decent recommendation for any pad upgrades. I don't really want to fit bigger brakes - I just want something that stops. I'm not worried about brake fade, I just want something with some bite when you need it.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

As advised change your brake fluid but if that doesn't help perhaps consider checking your calipers seals and pistons.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I changed the fluid today there is a slight improvement although they are still fairly poor compared to any other car. Have had the car for 18months and the fluid level hasn't changed over this time so I don't think it's leaking under pressure.

Will try some new EBC pads and see how they go - will report back any findings.

Cheers

I didn't want to mess around with larger disc's and calipers either but wanted better stopping power than I already had so I fitted National Sport 8 Groove disc's, Mintex M1144 pads, braided hoses, and used Motal RBF600 fliud. It's not suddenly turned into an F1 car when braking but there is an appreciable difference in both the brake feel and and it's ability to lose speed. It feels a lot more like an up to date car now as oppose to being a pretty average performer by 2000 standards. Having very good tyres always helps as well so don't overlook those, decent brakes with shite tyres is still going to result in poor stopping.

I also found the brakes terrible..to much force needed on the pedal to stop,even then not good.
fitted yellow stuff pads..no noticeable difference.

I know you said you didn't want to change brakes,but its cheaper than fitting disks,expernsive fluid and premium pads.
If you source a set of st150 callipers from ebay..they bolt straight on..mine also came with the disks and pads for £100.

Far more bite now,for not a lot of cash.

PS..if you want my yellowstuff pads to try yourself,you are welcome to them..i took them of after less than 500 miles!

Latest posts

Back