Best under bonnet cleaning tips

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

si1881

Really need some advice on the best way to get the engine bay of my Puma which from the looks of it hasn't been cleaned since it left the factory in 2001....

I've heard bad things about trying steam cleaning and don't want to risk water in electrics (had enough of that owning an Alfa...).

What kind of things does anyone recommend and the best way to go about it - tried general car wash stuff which has shifted the top layers but the greasy/stubbon bits are all still there and all the corners/unreachable bits are still nasty?!

Also can anyone suggest what you can use to get what looks almost like mould (dont think it is but is whiteish coloured) from the sound deadening on the underneath of the bonnet - wiping/rubbing it off seems to leave weird marks and when it dries doesn't look like anything has been done!

Not sure what to clean engine with but you can clean the sound proofing with a soft top shampoo ( for convertible roofs) and that should bring it back like new, I put some old towels over the engine for this as I'm the same with water and electrics!! Good luck with the clean mate!

Astonish Engine Bay Degreaser is supposed to be pretty decent for not a lot of £
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Engine--Greaser-Trigger-Spray/dp/B004UGG1U8/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1304554833&sr=1-14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just ripped my soundproofing out lol, just aids the engine getting too hot in warm weather anyway

newengine1.jpg

cleaned with wd40

Cheers - hadn't thought of good old WD-40 - will give it a go. Either that or got a very ancient tub of 'Gunk' that my dad used to use on his Imp which probably would still work...

sorry way off topic this

What alfa did you own??

Seems so far your self, me and Neil are the resident Alfesti's on this site

I did my sound deadening with the pressure washer (my god was the water running out BLACK!), followed by a wet vac and crevice tool to dry (and pull more crap out!)
Plastics and rubber - APC, Varying small paint/detailing brushes and microfibres
Aircon pipes, jubilee clips, MAF sensor etc - 00 gauge wire wool, metal polish and more microfibres.

Thanks for the info - wil have a go over the weekend if the weather holds out...

As for the Alfa I had a 2001 GTV 2.0 T Spark - lovely car with lots of typical Alfa unique qualities (opening both windows when you pressed the button for the fuel filler flap, burning plastic smells if you put the heated rear screen on..) and rather high servicing and cambelt changes! Wouldn't have got rid of it apart from getting a job doing 20k a year which I hate to think what it would have cost to keep running....

While looking for a drinks cooler I stumbled upon the write up below which was on the next page to the coolers. A few years old but Gunk came in second but is way cheaper than the first ;)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/68196/degreasers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gunks good if you are feeling lazy and also dont mind spraying your engine after

use a bit of elbow grease lol and some wd40 and you will get better results

If you use Gunk over tarmac - you may wash away your drive !

I've used Autoglym Motor Cycle cleaner before - worked well

Good results there! :D

PS: Keep an eye on your engine coolant level, looks to be on the low side in one of the photos. :)

Thanks - coolant is the aftermath of the heater control valve thing deciding to leak everywhere overnight a week or so ago after sitting for a month :| - car is SORN at the moment so not really got it properly up to temp since I've done it to then check the levels...

Gunk and concrete is OK as I've used it to clean the drive at my last house

Back