Brake upgrade?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puma89

Nice guide, great job on this.
Is lack/litle of information like this on the net. Deffently gonna print it out add it to my driving handbook.cheers.

I been thinking to upgrade my brakes and wondring how much diffrents it is between
240mm front discs to 258mm? more stabel on the road? lesser stopp meters?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ATE-BREMSSCHEIBE...temQQptZAutoteile_Zubehör?hash=item3a57769d3e

http://cgi.ebay.de/Bremsscheiben-be...temQQptZAutoteile_Zubehör?hash=item4ceee7a7b0

http://cgi.ebay.de/GELOCHTE-BREMSSC...temQQptZAutoteile_Zubehör?hash=item2ea195f396

http://cgi.ebay.de/2-Bremsscheiben-...temQQptZAutoteile_Zubehör?hash=item4399cb17ea

MOD EDIT: Moved to it's own thread rather than the reference modification guide.

Don't forget you also need the calipers!

The difference will be most noticeable as resistance to fade, you will be able to use them harder and for longer without them fading.

sounds like a good upgrades to my car than :--).

Have been looking at some brakes disc but I se there is very diffrent in price,
Not sure what to choose.

I forgot they are needed.
The caliper from the ford puma/fiesta fusion 2000 modell gonna look for it on ebay.

For the upgrade, in addition to the calipers, just standard discs with Mintex or Ferodo pads should be a good improvement on what you have.

You will need to buy the calipers separately, and buy them used.

The consumables should be bought new.

I would not bother with drilled or grooved discs. I would try plain discs and then upgrade later if you still think it is necessary.

image.php

I found some bills from the earlier owner from 2008,
both front brake disc/pad had been changed after rust.
So went to the garage today to check the brake disc once more and messured them
but it was 240mm :-(.
I think it will be ashame to upgrade it after knowing its been changed, wanne use them abit more before I upgrade it.

But now I have the info I need to get them.
I will get normal plain discs
Is there any dificults whit changing it?
I watched some do it yourself videos on youtube,
I see there are some clips on the calipers on the puma is that for taking them off?

300mm will be harder to fit I guess thats why I wont upgrade to that, Then I need to get bigger wheels also,

But I wanna do a little thing to shine it up I saw you flashbastd painted yours,
what painting/type did you use?

i recently upgraded to 300mm ST set up i have the callipers you need that i replaced for sale ....message me if you want them

check my thread project pumakid

Yes, I know, but they are commonly referred to as 260mm. Also the 280mm discs are actually 278mm.

Tricky to refit though once you have drilled out the knuckles.

yippeekiay said:
I kept my 258mm setup. Never know if the next owner (yeah right, who'd want it...lol) might want the old setup on along with the standard wheels.
some people are fussy i sold my first ever car aged 18 a black 1.2 clio with full bodykit with 17 inch tsw venoms but the buyer only agreed to the sale if i took the wheels off and exchanged them for standard steel ones so i went down the scrapyard and got some steel wheels to fit on for £50 and sold the venoms for £500....weird

FlashBastd said:
Yes, I know, but they are commonly referred to as 260mm. Also the 280mm discs are actually 278mm.

Tricky to refit though once you have drilled out the knuckles.
you may have a point there

FlashBastd said:
[post]103025[/post] 260mm is just disconnect, undo the bolts, then fit the new caliper.

I painted mine with Hammerite.

Hi I want to do the same thing, I think my front brakes are rather poor. Was going to change discs but would prefer to go directly to 258mm. I just don't know how to get the right calipers. I found different finis codes online so I am not sure at all. Anyone know where to find a pair of them? Thanks

Hi Tyler
My MK6 Fiesta had 260mm discs that are probably a straight caliper swap but if they aren't you could always ask Ian G on here to send you a set of calipers and brackets out.
Barry

Thnx Barry, working on my suspension atm so when that's all done I will have a look for them. There are plenty of Fiesta's out there so should be no problem to find, I guess. Have a nice day.

You're welcome Tyler. I forgot to mention when I got my latest MK6A Fiesta the discs and pads were knackered so I used my Puma ones so unless they have small changes to the mounting holes on the knuckles they definitely fit.
Barry

Back