Broken Car battery?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puma89

I recharged the battery some weeks ago ,and plugged it to the car 3 days ago.
Tested it by starting the car, two times that day. It worked great.
But today I cant seemed to sart the car, I messured the battery to 12v.
I shuld have been 14v at least. The alarm went on for no reason, and I could here the sound was getting more nd more weak, Tried to stop the alarm but no response.
I put on the heating just to see if the battery is soon dead.
After 1 minute I mesured 0 V

I went to recharge it today, I messured 12,6V over the battery poles/battery charging thing.
It sounded a bit weak though you needed at least 14v for the charging ?

Is my battery charging too weak or is my battery totally broken?

I cant speak for your car.... but my Puma was (and still is) on its original battery. Given the lifespan of a lot of car parts some of these original parts are reaching the end of their life.... rust & exhaust tape/putty is holding my back-box together, and my battery is most certainly due for replacement soon.

Would guess a new battery could well be a decent bet in your case too....

I have been looking at the driving-car-book or what you call it.
Where everything thats done with the car is written.
But cant find a battery replacement. But I guess its hopeless to find it in there , normaly you replace it yourselve. Well found a receipt for some car washer frome wallmart :).

Its been a cold winter in Norway around -10-12 degrees for several days.
could also been the reason.

I cant find any year on it.
The original battery that came with the car was it a Bosh?

i suspect your battery is dead, and is best to get a new one...batteries are a limited life span product. it could just need topping up, but is most likely to be of the non serviceable type. What voltage are you getting when the car is running across the battery terminals?

Its a non serviceable type.

I will try the reacharge it once more, The charger has been on for about five hours now.
Is it a good way to test if it dead? I messured 14,5V The day I plugged the battery to my car. 3 days ago.
It did start that day. But today I only got hicky noice when I tried to start, checked the voltage than to 12volt
I tried a couple more times , went down to 4,4volt and then after putting on the heath it went down to 0,1V

Is there any battery you would reccomand for the car?

This what I have on mine (original ?):

Number 075
Lead/Calcium (Ca)
500 A
52Ah

With your cold weather, it's probably better to have a higher rating/capacity:
Number 075
Lead/Calcium (Ca)
540 A
60Ah
Example - Varta (Blue, 4 year Warranty):
http://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-075-Varta-Blue-Dynamic-Car-Battery-P3189.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Number 075
Lead/Calcium (Ca)
600 A
61Ah
Example - Varta (Silver, 5 year Warranty):
http://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-075-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-Battery-P7743.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the battery on yours is a Bosch, then it isn't original, like Rick's above, your original battery would have been a Motorcraft.

Having said that, it is not uncommon for batteries to fail after as little as 5 years (sometimes less), so it is probably due for replacement.

Yeap, you right, best to get a new one.
Do you have any tips to make the battery last longer It seem to easy "non serviceable"

Thanks, for the tips Yog, probably get a VARTA battery , a lot of happy costumers.
I had a 600A 61Ah battery BOSH.

Back