Calling welders...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F2eeman

I'm planning to do a turbo conversion and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past few days of the various projects going down in puma land. It seems that 99% of the successful conversions done have had master welders at the helm (Or phat wallets :D ).... I've worked around welders a lot and even had a quick go (muchos fun) But in order for me to be realistic and do a 'budget' conversion I'm going to have to learn how to weld properly and do my best to weld my own bits together as some of the greats here have given me the inspiration to do, I've always wanted to learn and create some crazy/slightly useful stuff and it would help with future projects of car and non car nature.

I've had a quick look here and there, but as with everything its horses for courses, and a lot of open to interpretation/IMHO.

So I thought I'd ask the guys who have done it (fabricated/welded car stuffs) I realise there are many materials on a car, but firstly (after practice) I'd like to try and build myself a down pipe.

Can a budget welding machine, give a good enough weld (in the right hands) for this sort of thing. Or am I being naive, and will it cost me a substantial amount to get a decent finished product?

Gas or gassless?

Mig/Tig?

Type of weldwire needed? thicknesses? etc

I've a lot to learn..... Any pointers that helped you out, when you first embarked on this metallic adventure?

Not gasless. Migs great for mild and stainless steel and can do alloy but TIGs better but can't advise on TIG myself as I've never used it.
Barry

tuonokid said:
Not gasless. Migs great for mild and stainless steel and can do alloy but TIGs better but can't advise on TIG myself as I've never used it.
Barry

Thanks Barry,

Needs wise it would be mild/stainess for brackets, exhausts and a bit of bodywork perhaps.

I've seen a few gas/gasless convertible units in my price range...

Buy the best that you can but don't touch gasless. Mine is nearly 30 years old now and it's still going strong. It's a Cebora but was also sold by Snap On as a Snap On MIG. If you can still get hold of Cebora I would buy one of them.
Barry

Go the gassed Mig route, very easy to learn by yourself with a small amount of practice although I have to say some people I've seen can't get the grasp of any kind of welding no matter how much you try to teach them or how much practice they've had.

Tig is usually preferred by many for intricate St.St work but needs more preperation and care but the results are in turn a lot better than Mig if done right. Saying that, you can still get a cracking finish on Mig if you take the same care and get the settings and your material perfectly prepared too and it's a much more forgiving way of welding if you don't, especially on thin gage metal :lol:

For preference I'd go with gas but flux core (gasless) isn't that much different once you get the hang of it albeit not really suitable for thin stuff unless your a pro ;)

yippeekiay said:
Go the gassed Mig route, very easy to learn by yourself with a small amount of practice although I have to say some people I've seen can't get the grasp of any kind of welding no matter how much you try to teach them or how much practice they've had.

Tig is usually preferred by many for intricate St.St work but needs more preperation and care but the results are in turn a lot better than Mig if done right. Saying that, you can still get a cracking finish on Mig if you take the same care and get the settings and your material perfectly prepared too and it's a much more forgiving way of welding if you don't, especially on thin gage metal :lol:

For preference I'd go with gas but flux core (gasless) isn't that much different once you get the hang of it albeit not really suitable for thin stuff unless your a pro ;)

Thanks for the info matey, much appreciated. I worked for a company that did exhausts for JLR and Toyota and had a go with a mig and managed to put down a few pretty decent welds apparently (bracket to a silencer) so I think I've got the creative flare for it so to speak. It's going to be a case of trial and error (mainly on scrap metal I hope) but I've not done metal work before so I'll need to get grinders etc aswell. I've seen the results of mig vs tig and theres a major difference, but I think as I improve (and enjoy it enough) I'll look at progressing, but for now I'd be happy with an ugly/accurate/secure weld :D

I was thinking http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/010110125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-gas-welding-accessory-pack-for-mig145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is 0.6 wire a good base for practice?

Do not go gasless. If you buy a cheap machine you'll regret it later as for the mask and consumables if you have an autojumble nearby you can get auto darkening masks for £25 and wire and gas for next to nowt. I also got a double outlet gas supply with taps for just over £5 (essential for welding s/s pipes) I use Rufforth near York but there are similar autojumbles at Newark and possibly Stafford.
Barry

tuonokid said:
Do not go gasless. If you buy a cheap machine you'll regret it later as for the mask and consumables if you have an autojumble nearby you can get auto darkening masks for £25 and wire and gas for next to nowt. I also got a double outlet gas supply with taps for just over £5 (essential for welding s/s pipes) I use Rufforth near York but there are similar autojumbles at Newark and possibly Stafford.
Barry

No, no... that machine is gas/gasless switchable. I'd use gas on it, I'd get a proper mask, few on ebay for £25-£30 which seem to be ok. Not heard of an autojumble before! Double outlet gas supply means nothing to me, although I did just visit mig-welding.co.uk and now have the basic theory in mind :D

On second thoughts, I may well want to build a complete exhaust system if I get any good. And 35amps Min may be a tad high for exhausts? May go with something a little more expensive that does 25-90?

Autojumbles are great for tools and consumables just have a look on the net for a local one. If you're welding stainless steel you'll need Argon gas and if you're welding stainless steel pipe together the double outlet supply will give you a gas supply to your torch as well as a separate supply to the inside of the pipe you're welding meaning you get a cleaner, stronger weld.
Barry

Back