Cambelt advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasofcaladan

Hi all. Just bought a y reg Puma 1.7, 66k. Got a full service history and cambelt change at 44k in 2010. Having done some research I understand that the cambelt needs to be changed every 80k or every 5 years. Even though it hasn't done many miles since the last change I would still not take the chance as the five years have elapsed.

My question is would people recommend a Ford garage for the job, having read a lot of cases this does not necessarily mean a good job, and from what I've heard it's a bit of a specific procedure.

I use a garage that I trust and will give them a call this week. Am interested if anyone has experience getting their cambelt done and what sort of cost am I looking at?
Cheers. :D

Hi, sounds like you got a nice Puma there, definitely worth getting the cam belt service done. This should also include the tensioner, water pump, rocker cover gasket etc.
This subject has been covered a lot so if you do a search you'll find lots of info.
You're correct in that you have to be careful who does the job, and expect to pay between £300-400 (that should include parts).
If you indicate where you are you may get some garage suggestions near you.
Paul

Cheers for the reply :D
For anyone with any garage recommendations I am located in Birmingham.

In in Worthing not Birmingham but if it helps I paid just under £400 for my cambelt this year. But as well as the cambelt & tensioner I also had the waterpump, aux belt & tensioner, plus the rocker cover gasket (Genuine Ford one as pattern ones don't always fit well) changed at same time

Chris (El Dude) on here does the full monty cambelt etc, etc changes and he's not too far away in Nottingham. Drop him a PM.
Barry

Hi all, had my cambelt, tensioner and aux belt done today at Pumabuild for £260. They had a look at the water pump and said it was in good condition also. Just thought I'd update you. Nice friendly service would recommend them. :grin:

Back