Can you recommend someone?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushal

Can anyone recommend anyone in the Kings Lynn/Spalding area?

I'm in need of a little work done including a cam belt change and as I've read many times that this requires the correct locking tool, i need someone who pocesses one.

To cut a long story short, as some of you know I bought the car 4 weeks ago, with the promise that the cam belt/water pump & tensioner were changed. It now transpires this was a load of bull and whilst I persevere in chasing the garage who sold me the car, i'm going to get this job done now as I have no idea when it was done last (if ever). It also transpires that the brand new drive shaft fitted was in fact from a breakers yard (ok brand new as in replaced but not how they described it at the time).

I'm also going to need a new speed sensor, aux belt and maybe the rocker cover gasket done at the same time (might as well get it all done at one and have done with it)

So like I say, if anyone could recommend someone then I'd be grateful. I'm aware of Leeson's but am concerned about the labour charges.

Cheers

Have you checked here>>>> http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=9116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes I have, but thanks for that spike. The closest is Norwich, which is a bit far from me but they are on my list if I can't find anyone closer, hence the reason for asking

I had a local mechanic take a look (he says he won't even attempt the cam belt change as he hasn't the correct tool, so at least he's honest) to make sure things had been done as mentioned. Ok, he can't say exactly that the Cam Belt hasn't been changed but the water pump is definitely not a new one (or even 4 weeks old). So to err on the side of caution I'm in need of having it done (rather be safe than sorry). I'm aware that this can be a subjective thing, but as I say better safe than sorry. He did mention that the aux belt may have been changed as the writing on it is still very clear, whereas the cam belt is another story.

rushal said:
I had a local mechanic take a look (he says he won't even attempt the cam belt change as he hasn't the correct tool, so at least he's honest) to make sure things had been done as mentioned. Ok, he can't say exactly that the Cam Belt hasn't been changed but the water pump is definitely not a new one (or even 4 weeks old). So to err on the side of caution I'm in need of having it done (rather be safe than sorry). I'm aware that this can be a subjective thing, but as I say better safe than sorry. He did mention that the aux belt may have been changed as the writing on it is still very clear, whereas the cam belt is another story.

If your local mechanic is any good, could you not get the tool (which I think you can buy off e-bay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Timing-Belt-Locking-Tool-Set-Ford-Puma-1-4-1-6-1-7-/220635546782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or he might be able to get one through the trade? Then he could do the work for you? Would save running around looking for a suitable garage.

I have had a look for the tool, even on ebay. Never did find one, so yes thats very helpfull. Thanks Ian.......................

the timing tool is a standard item,the problem is setting the vct up properly,if a garage hasnt done the 1.7 before walk away and find a garage that has,as this can cause problems and worse case is a knackered engine.
the 1.7 frp engine does use a different timing tool because the inlet cam is advanced by 4 degrees more than a standard 1.7 engine..

Hence the reason for asking if anyone knew of someone around the Kings Lynn/Spalding area who does have experience

I'm sure you are :grin:

PM Sent

errrr, why is the PM just sat in the outbox folder? Shouldn't it be in the sent folder, or is it me?

Ok, It's me, its now been sent................................................

Back