Changing a Puma door?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_89

Does anyone know how difficult it is to fit a new door? some fool crashed into my passenger side back in October, and I've bought another door but was wondering if there are any complications with the different locks and confusing the ECU? and how easy it is to hang a new door?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help!

Cheers

I have replaced my drivers door. The easy bit is disconnecting the wiring between the door and the bodywork.

To be honest, it wasn't a job I enjoyed doing. The door pins are a total c**t to get out. I ended up using a large mallet and a builders/masonry bolster. As some other members suggested to me after I had done it, its easier to jack the car up as this gives you more room to get the bottom pin out.
Bottom pin knocks out upwards, top pin knocks out downwards.

I wanted to keep my original lock. Inside the door, there is a metal housing/sheild which surrounds the back of the lock. For me, this was the second worst thing about this job. Getting the metal part out was a total nightmare. This needs to be removed, to get to the rods for the mechanism. I destroyed the old door to get the lock out, which was quite easy. Not so easy when you want the door un-damaged.
I found instructions on my Ford CD, but they didn't make it any easier!

The best thing about getting the lock out is it's a good opportunity to give it a squirt of lubricant. It was quite stiff, but now its perfect.

Once changed, it is quite satisfying looking at a decent door!

I didn't think this was going to be any easy job!! but I'll make sure I've got a mallet and jack ready!

One of my problems is that I'll be using the new door's locks as mine were damaged in the hit, do you think this will be a problem? maybe the ecu wont like this?

I know what you mean, I hate looking at the door now, having a new one will make me love it again!

Cheers

If you are using the locks from the new/replacement door, it wont effect the ECU at all. But remember that the lock will then need a different key to the rest. But that said, if you unlock only the drivers door, or use the remote central locking, it may not be an issue for you.

Back