Changing shocks

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron86

I'm going to attempt to change the front shocks when I fin work later today, how difficult is it and do I need any special tools. Any how to guides much appreciated.

First of I wouldnt get into this job till youve read up on it first carefully,its potentially very dangerous also you would be best spraying the bolts and where the shocks sit in the hub for at least a few days on the trot before you start.

Safety first with this you need to compress the springs with a pair of spring compressors equally and progressively ie dont tighten one of the pair significantly more than the other. Understand if they come off or break they could seriously hurt you or worse.So I'm thinking starting the day not knowing what your doing and rushing into it later is not a good idea

You'll need spring compressors, and an allen key to fit into the top of the shock tube. You may need a breaker bar and you may need or want a new bolt for where the bottom of the shock secures in the hub. Mole grips may also be needed.You may also need to get a garage to undo the top nut with an air wrench. Theres a how to on fitting coilovers in the how to section but I dont think it specifically does the front shocks iirc but may help.

Back