Cheap Ebay parts. Worth it?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinfandel

So I was looking at getting most of my stuff from Euro Car Parts but I've been looking on Ebay and the parts seem to be a lot cheaper on there, are they worth it?

For example, Euro Car Parts currently has the timing belt kit on sale for £80 and the water pump for £23 or so but on Ebay there are timing kits for £50.

The back box (which appears to be the same one) is £10 cheaper on Ebay.

There are 40mm dropped springs for £30.

Full set of flowflex poly brushes for £80

Are these parts ok? I mean yes they're not going to be as good as getting the top end branded stuff but I don't have £2k to drop on getting her up to scratch so it would be good if I could fit these parts with at least a bit of confidence.

Anyone got any experience buying parts from Ebay?

Many thanks!

Ash

get a gates timing belt kit or a genuine ford. as for everything else it won't be fatal if it doesn't work

alexwilliams840 said:
get a gates timing belt kit or a genuine ford. as for everything else it won't be fatal if it doesn't work

That makes sense! The Gates timing belt kit is only £70 anyway so that's pretty much half what I was expecting it to cost.

Thanks!

Ash

most of the stuff on my car is from ebay, never had a problem with any of it but I agree with the above comments about the timing belt, it's not worth putting on a cheap one.

I also source most of my parts from Ebay but I always look at the sellers feedback. You can get an idea of whether the parts are any good by reading what other buyers say about them.
I don't necessarily worry about the odd comment about slow or missing deliveries, as potentially that could happen to anyone buying from anywhere.

I got a nice pair of alloy droplinks delivered for less than a tenner. I wasn't expecting much for that price, but they are really good and weight next to nothing!

You can get good stuff off Ebay if you look around rather than buying the first, cheapest part you find.

I use a mixture of ebay/genuine/ECP, for example my Valeo clutch was a three-piece from ECP, £110, the cambelt kit was genuine Ford, £60 off ebay which includes crank pulley bolt and VCT pulley bolt. New Aux belt , Continental brand from ECP was £17, actually better quality than the Ford OEM one and cheaper I believe. New idler pulley was £18 from ebay, in a Gates box but made by INA (OEM again) and that was nearly £10 cheaper than ECP.

I also add to check google for the parts you want, I consistently find the same parts offered on ebay cheaper using a search on google. Weirdly enough but I suppose not suprising in some cases it's from the ebay sellers actual business meaning they have had to add a surcharge for ebays fees.

And another bit of advice, make sure you actually check the cost from the car dealer itself. I have found some parts in the past to be cheaper than anyone else....amazing I know but true :lol:

A lot of people assume ebay is the cheapest place to find everything but this is certainly not the case :eek:k:

+1 on that Yip. I found a rear ABS loom was cheaper at Ford... By about £50!

Latest posts

Back