Cleaned my MAF today...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you fill it the same each time. I fill mine until it's visible so I know I'm at the same point each time as some pumps click way before others which makes it inconsistent doing it that way.

Very easy to lose mileage if your average is as high as 44mpg, a few bursts around town will soon have it dropping well below that so I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't fill until visible, only until it clicks, but I do always note down how much fuel was delivered, so I divide miles travelled since last fill up by litres to get mpl then multiply by 4.54609188 to get my mpg. Then I reset my trip computer and the process starts again.

That'll make a difference, as I say, some click way before/after others, even at the same garage which is why I fill to the brim each time. Over time though your average will even out as you will be getting more on some fills and less on others than the actual mpg doing it your way.

I have had 5+ litres more go in from a click and as little as 1 litre so it really makes a difference pump to pump and even if you hold the pump at a different angle.

Haha....

Just had a quick mooch at your spreadsheet and your compounding the problem by filling up so often. A slight difference in subsequent fills due to an early or late click will make a much bigger difference in your MPG over less than half a tank than nearly a full one.

i.e. 2 or 3 litres out of a 20 litres fill is a much bigger %/mpg loss/gain than 2 or 3 litres out of a 40 litre fill.

My problem is that I do the wrong side of 100-miles almost every day in a round trip between home and work. It doesn't go anywhere else; if the key gets turned - it's going on a journey! No short trips into town (although either of the nearest towns (Worthing/Horsham) are 20 miles away anyway) or shopping trips - we do that in the "wallet-raping brick on a jelly" (2007 Jeep Cherokee 2.8l Diesel).

It's turned out that a tank isn't quite enough to get me to work and back twice, and at the work end, it's a real PITA to get to a petrol station as I work just off the M4 so I have to go in the wrong direction through rush hour town traffic only to have to come back on myself again if I need to fill up at that end; hence the regular fill-ups either on the way out or back from home.

There are a couple of bonky garages I could go to en route, but I prefer to stick with Shell a) because I get points on the loyalty card and b) I won't put supermarket fuel in my car.

I will definitely fill up properly from now on - had no idea there was so much variance. :eek:k:

If you fill up to the brim like me you may find you can get 2 trips out of it judging by your average mpg. That'd save you time in the long run as half as many fill ups. You could probably do it now but most people start flapping as soon as the reserve light comes on.....lol

As a precaution you could carry 5 litres of fuel in a can for the first try and you can see how much fuel you had left when you next fill it up (assuming you don't run out that is.)

Also, just to give you a rough idea - I can do 40 miles at 70mph on the reserve light with fuel to spare. Most I've managed is 86!!!!!!!!

A little thought and planning my friend....lol :thumbs:

I have just cleaned out mine as I had it off fixing a coolant leak from the temp sensor housing which was a PITA! Has made an immediate difference to the idle and I havent even driven it yet!

ScubaSteve said:
normally the o rings, did you have to buy new ones?

o-rings on the sensor? no it was from the hose joint, had got all caked up with crud, had to take it off and clean them up to get the hose to seal properly.

sorry for some reason yesterday i read it as you replaced the thermostat housing, god knows why

Back