Clutch gone? Are 1.7 and 1.6 clutches interchangeable?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAN-HN

If I put the foot down in 4th gear, the revs will build to 6-7000 rpm but no power and similar experience with other gears sometimes aswell, I assume this is the clutch?

Also what options do I have for a new clutch i.e can I fit a 1.7 puma or 1.8 focus clutch to my 1.6 puma?

Cheers in advance

Why would you want to?

Unless you are remarkably ham-footed a standard replacement clutch for the 1.6 will almost certainly outlive the car.

'Upgrading' for the sake of it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

well i had to replace my clutch on 70k, i would say that about an average clutch's life based on when others are changing theres too

how long a clutch lasts depends of a number of factors,main 1's are riding the clutch,wheel spinning and not having good clutch control letting it slip when pulling away,ive had cars that have done oveer 150,000 still with the original clutches in them and that was driving them hard aswell...
my puma is still on its original clutch at 110,000

or the other way of thinking is that if your already doing a job make the most out of it / best you can xiixv...

dont know for sure but id say any clutch from a ib5 gearbox will fit...all the way upto the focus 1.8 and st150

im using the focus 1.8 in my frp...its nice and light but you need to slip it a bit getting up kerbs or you stall...just cos its a beefier clutch... the 1.8 is 220mm vs 210mm wide for the 1.7 and fits fine...even on a slightly worn flywheel

my way of thinking is if it brakes uprate :) every time something brakes is the ideal time to fit something better. i have eaten through a 4 paddle helix clutch and a fast road clutch and im now going to try the focus 1.8 as recommended on here.

i seriously wouldnt think about a paddle clutch but the fast road clutch i found great i would go for the same again but i want to try all the options so its the 1.8 for me next :)

Yeah mines on 82k so its expected imo.

I was wondering if a 1.7 would fit a 1.6 because there is plently of fast road clutches available for the 1.7 but not the 1.6, so I was hoping to fit the 1.7 clutch.

Plus if I'm going to replace something I may aswell fit something a bit beefier, makes my car unique to me, but I suppose everyone has an opinion.

im upgrading to a ST150 item as recommended by a few people but as a few of you rightly said if it breaks then upgrade. no harm in that aslong as the budget permits.

Back