Clutch wrong way round?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trublustu

Hi all.
I`ve just rebuilt the car and have a problem that wont fix,
I have difficulty engaging any forward gear and reverse is impossible.
I have bled the clutch thoroughly and am getting a feeling of dread..

Have I put the clutch plate in the right way around?

I dont even know if it`s possible or whether these would be the symptoms,
but maybe I overlooked this simple check on re-assembly.

If anyone can help me pin this down I`d be more than happy,
I had wanted a blast at the three sisters tomorrow.
That doesn`t bother me too much but I got Mallory in a few weeks...

Hi Stu
It is possible on some cars to put the clutch plate in the wrong way and get the symptoms you describe but unless you can remember which way you put it in to check against Ford Tis all you can do is carry on bleeding to see if that works.
Sorry if that's not much help.
Barry

There has been something niggling me since I put this back together, getting a real gut feeling now..
I have done as good a bleeding job as it`s getting and I cant remember exactly how I threw it all together,
after cams and timing etc I may have got a little too relaxed when I was chucking the big lumps together..
still, I`m getting quite used to dropping the gearbox..

Hi Stu
When I took the clutch off Andrews Anglia I made a mental note to see which way round it came off but it dropped on the floor and bounced so before it goes back in I may be asking questions on the Anglia Forum. Glad you're getting used to taking the box off, though, as it's a job I hate on FWD cars.
Barry

Cheers fella.
I finally got round to reading up on the Gates bulletin regarding cambelts.
It explains things well and swapping the cams and all that entails proved quite easy with the knowledge of not just what I`m doing but why.

Hi Stu
The Gates Bulletin regarding the cambelt tensioner is like the bible for Puma owners. You need to understand this as the process seems complicated but the bulletin explains it all. Once you understand this you only have to worry about the timing of the cams and the tightness of the crank pulley.
Barry

just checked on my bust engine and if you out the clutch on backwards the centre of the clutch hits flywheel before the friction material does so unlikley its gone on backwards

have you checked where the linkage joins the box, on mine it seems the best posistion is to still have a hole in gearbox shaft part showing and the sleeve from the linage just against it rather than fully over.

Hi Joe, thanks for looking, I`m pretty certain this isn`t linkage related,
I have swapped my linkage over a few times now and yes the hole part covered sits the stickin the right spot.
I just cant think of any thing else that I wasn`t 100% on when I bolted it all together..
unless its just my slave has suddenly failed. which still means the box is coming off..

I think a re-check of the gearshift rod will do no harm as the problem you describe seems related to this. IIRC TIS says that you should engage 4th slide a pin in a hole under the gearshift black box (under the car) and then tighten the rod to the gearbox selector.

Alex

if the rod is too far on the pin (and vica versa) its hard to get 1st, 3rd & 5th OR 2nd, 4th & R.
This is all gears. The car creeps with the clutch down too.
Its the clutch not fully dis-engaging for some reason. gotta get to the bottom this quickly..

If you can get all the gears including 5th & reverse, whilst engine is off. The selector is correctly adjusted.

My friend had a similar problem on a focus diesel recently after replacing the clutch. He hadn't changed the concentric slave cylinder and couldn't break the drive of the clutch. The replacement concentric around the bearing area was 1-2mm thicker. In his case , that was what the problem was. so check that concentric slave cylinder. :thumbs:

Hi doh, I can find all the gears with the engine off, I`m happy with the selector
I realise that the slave failing, could give these symptoms,
It`s a fairly new item, but could have took a whack when my engine let go in Febuary.
I`m still looking at a weekend whipping the box off and on. to try to scource the problem.
Master cylinder will be checked first...

Back