cold starts

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackersno1

hi and happy new year to all!

rite it was a particularly cold morning today, and when starting the car theres a constant high pitched squeeking noise coming from the engine, this is when idling aswell as a driving. The noise does become quieter once the engine has warmed up. I have an idea of what it might be but i darnt say! :teary:

and secondly theres a cracking/ knocking noise when turning the steering wheel to full lock in either direction from a cold start too, but dont have a clue what this is. Power steering fluid is at a decent level. Any help would be great.

ta :-D

High pitched squeaking noise is most likely your aux belt.

Clonking on full lock could either be your cv joints or track rod ends at a guess.

Mine squeaks alot when cold, i suspect its the aux belt. Unless someone can correct me i dont think it does any harm, its just moisture collecting on the belt overnight.

thanks for the input, had a really bad feeling that you were guna say it was the cam belt, which i dont think has been done yet. It doesnt say it in the service manual, but the guy i bought it from said it shud have been done, is there any way of checking?

Not really an easy way to tell.

I did recall something about the arrows on the belt if you take off the cover but then that's not very accurate.

I'd get it done for piece of mind to be honest.

@Dradus I think you are right.

On the left of the engine looking at it, under the black cover that says "1.7 - 96KW - 125PS" on it.

[albumimg]344[/albumimg]

Think there are about half a dozen screws holding the cover one. The lower ones are a pain to get to.

The original Ford belt did indeed have 4 (or 5?) directional arrows on it across the belt.

just asked mi dad as he was there when i bought the car and it has been done, was done at 55k though, isnt that early?

Not necessarily as it's 80K miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. So a 10 year old car should have had 2 by now, even if it's only done 50K miles.

DradusContact said:
Mine squeaks alot when cold, i suspect its the aux belt. Unless someone can correct me i dont think it does any harm, its just moisture collecting on the belt overnight.

My mechanic mate told me it could be one of the pullys, so to let the sqeek get worse before he can diagnose properly

Back