Contact with absent parent who is dying.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenpenalver

Obviously this is a can of worms.....

Now basically my dad is a bastard.

Hes the kind of man who gets married, has kids then disapears and so far hes on his 3rd marriage and 4th kid. All now grown up....

The only one hes paid any money for is the current one with his current wife, the rest he f*cked off then had nothing to do with them and avoided paying a single penny....

This is despite him working in the oil industry on a good salary that was near 6 figures, so he blatently had the ability to pay if hed wanted to.

Hes still married and in his late fifties now but is not far off dying due to developing CJD and slowly becoming a vegetable then he will die from pneumonia as most CJD patients do......his life expectancy is about a year or so they say.

Strangely hes since knowing hes going to die wanted to get to know his abandoned offspring - obviously to settle his own guilt so he can die in "peace". 2 of us (me included) dont want to see him at all as to be frank, whats in it for us?? Nothing! Having not had a dad in my life so far what will having one for 6 months do?? nothing good that i can see. Even if i did like him whats the point in getting close to someone who is turning into a vegetable and who is going to have a horrible death (horrible for him and those who have to care/watch it happen).

All that would cause is more upset and anguish. Hardly in my interests!!

Strange considering 4 years ago my gibraltarian grandparents stitched me up and rung him when i was there and he didnt want to know me then!!

Ive been getting more and more pressure from family members to have a "relationship" of sorts with him "before its too late". And to be quite frank its pissing me off a lot now!!!

Im not in contact with any of my family except half sister in USA and most of the family are putting pressure on me via her or via facebook sending messages etc and its getting to the point where im going to end up telling my half sister to stop talking about my dad or F'off!!!

Obviously the sensible side of me says its probably not the wisest thing to completely cut off yourself from your whole family, but at the moment all i see is aggro i dont need!!!

Plus what really do i need a family for at the moment??? I split up from my family mid 2000 when my guardians started to make life very hard for me because id chosen to go on operations after changing branch from air engineering, i guess he was upset i wasnt going to be a chartered engineer, like he was - well i didnt want to be him! I wanted to be me! Plus they were always controlling both in my life and the family generally (our extended family is fairly dysfunctional in my opinion), and id just had enough to be honest, especially when they caused trouble with Naval Personel & Family Services which almost stopped me deploying (what they wanted!! but would have trashed career).

I was never wanted by them anyway, they were the only aunt and uncle who were in a position to take us on, otherwise it would be into care, and that would not look good for the family!! Especially the Aunt who couldnt have her own children, and her resentment was pretty obvious to me even if she tried to hide it, she couldnt hide the fact id hear the arguements they had upstairs when i was supposed to be asleep!! Guess they didnt like it when at 19 I told her i heard all that to her face. That didnt go down well..... At least i didnt get punched on the way out the house like my brother did LOL!

So that relationship got ditched.

Unfortunately they have strong influence over the rest of the family so i become the black sheep taking over from my brother who had ironically ran away 3 years previous for the same controlling reasons.... So since then ive lived without a family and i cant see a) what good getting back in contact would do and b) how id go about explaining so much stuff thats gone on and c) how id ever get my side of events seen. So basically that bridge is well burned!!!

So the last thing i need is them pressurising me!! Interestingly none of the whole family ever tried to contact me at all except my brother sending the odd letter, and things were better that way.

my dad had nothing to do with the family really until recently! He didnt even write himself after my mothers death and had a small paragraph in a letter written on his behalf!!!

Obviously im pissed off at the c*nt for daring to think he can just disapear and reappear when he chooses without ever actually even trying to contribute to being a parent.

So i was wondering if i could sue him. He never paid maintenance despite attempts by CSA to find him (yeah its really hard to find someone on electoral register whos paying taxes via PAYE :cry:) so ineptitude of CSA and deception by him no doubts!!

I wonder if i could sue him for the unpaid CSA payments and take it from his estate when he dies??

Surely a debt such as this can never become "statute barred" like consumer debt can???

By the way its not about actually getting a penny in my pocket, i wouldnt care if it was all lost in legal costs, its out of principle after hes done so little yet owes so much.....

Any ideas???

Your life, but if you miss out on this opportunity you may alienate much of your extended family, whom you may need later. If you later decide that you made a mistake in missing out on this opportunity, you will be stuck with that forever. You may not obviously gain anything from seeing him, but what would you loose by doing so?

You are obviously angry enough to want to sue, perhaps there is more feeling there than you think? If you truly feel that seeing him would do more harm than good then for God's sake don't sue him, you will just end up more stressed!

Families can be HUGE pains in the arses but they can also be there for you when no-one else is so think long and hard before cutting them out altogether. However, I do think you don't need them nagging you to contact your father as this is up to you and stressful enough without them telling you what to do. Therefore keeping your distance for a short while might help.

My old man fucked off when i was young, found it hard when i was young, but as i got older i had the attitude " you dont miss, what you dont got"

To cut a long story short last year i found him and my bro on facebook. Met him, and not bothered if i see him again. I think our exprience is similar but not so similar. Personally i would rather now have made peace, put a face to a name etc than to find out in 20 years hes dead and i cant do anything. Me personally would say make peace etc, but if seeing him drags up to many memories then maybe it will do more harm than good.

Warren, do exactly as you want to do.

Just because somebody is your genetic parent doesn't mean you have to like them or even want to see them.

Frankly your dad appears to be a Grade One Shit. That being the case why do you need to do anything other than send a small bunch of petrol station flowers to his funeral?

The idea of sueing for child support is interesting, but all it is likely to do is enrich two sets of grasping lawyers. You could contact the CSA, tell them you have tracked him down and ask them what they are going to do about it.

Good luck whatever.

Thing is ive never had a relationship with my "dad" and i have no memories of him. So ive got nothing to have any positive feelings on him, just the negatives that hes had no contact, not supported his own kids and not given a shit for my whole childhood/early adulthood yet he suddenly expects me to do what he wants now?? He didnt even write a letter by his own hand after my mothers death!!! Regardless of his situation with his new wife/family, that is inexcusable.

Im not sure how practical suing him is, to be fair, from what ive been told it may be cheaper to stake a claim on his estate after his death. Although it depends on where he dies as he lives in scotland, where under thier laws i have inheritance rights, where as elsewhere the laws are different down here, thats if he doesnt go to the netherlands where his wifes half of the family live.

I know it would probably upset my half sister and some other family members if i refused to talk to him. Maybe just doing nothing would be best option as time would take over??

Wow, an extreamly powerful post.

I just lost my mother two weeks ago and i've burried her on the tuesday just past. So i feel like i can shed a little light on a potent topic.

But before i say whatever it is am about to say, wich will be off the cuff as am just going to type as it comes.I want to stress am coming from a very gentle and non agressive tone.I'm not preaching,this is just a little bit of honesty.

It has to be said, that Consideration wasn't exactly one of your dads stronger traits.He doesn't sound like a great person so your anger is completely understood.

Death is the only thing i know of wich can melt just about everything a person has ever believed about life or themselves. I'm not for one second trying to say that there is an angel lying on their death bed. from what i've read he's far from it, But you shouldn't treat death as a score leveller.

It's an opertunity for you to show him how much of a man you are! you can be the bigger man with the bigger heart, and in doing so nobody, especially your family, can ever point a finger at you.

You don't have to be by his side everyday, you don't have to stay in touch. But this is literarlly, a once in a life time chance.

What good does this fire you have in you do for your life ? purpose does it serve ? where has it gotten you ?

Lets suppose, in your own words, that ''time takes over'' and he passes.Your anger will still be there, and you'll no longer have anyone to aim it at other than yourself wich is madness.You don't deserve that.

I'd Strongly Encourage you not to turn your back. As i've already said it's an opertunity to get it off your chest, go to him and get those questions you probably have for him awnsered.

I don't know if it's his wish to see you, either way it's a chance for you to get rid of this aggro.You don't even have to go as a group, you can go alone and have a one on one.

Thats all i really wanted to say. I hope i haven't angered you or offended you in anyway. Times like these require silly amounts of profound thought and reflextion. Life would be far to easy if we could just walk away from every problem that came our way.

Best of luck, and am sure you'll do the right thing. it's ultimately your choice!

anyhows, be cool and i hope it all works out

I think we all deal with things in different ways. Some good points Nick IF I was your twin and felt the same as you.

In my case if my Dad dies tomorrow I wouldn't give a shittata. I haven't missed him and never will. He never meant anything to me and never will. He's never done anything for me and never will. I haven't spilled a tear over him and never will. Simple.

He made the choice to do what he wanted and that's ok, that was his choice. I made the choice to carry on seeing my kids regularly when I split up over 10 years ago. I still pay money to the ex to help towards the costs of their upbringing - bare in mind my daughter is 19 next month & ready to drop my first grandchild in March and my son is 17, they are both earning yet I still pay for their mobile phone bills and anything they need that their mother can't buy whereas I could pay bugger all if I wanted. It's not hard, it's hasn't put me out, so I can't see why some parents abandon their kids either emotionally or financially when it wasn't their kids fault for being born in the first place. Then they expect some kind of compassion when THEY finally realise their mis-doing.

How can you regret someone's passing when they've never influenced any part of your life whatsoever.

My family may think I'm cold and try to pressure me to see him when the day comes but I couldn't give a damn. As I say, we all have a totally different outlook on life and do as we feel is best.

If no one has the time for me I certainly won't waste any on them and won't feel bad about it. But if I'm shown respect and given time I'm the first to reciprocate.

IMO I'd say screw him Warren, and forget about suing him too or worrying about any inheritance. If your family pressurise you I bet they would also show how hypocritical they are when any inheritance they get will be firmly kept in their mits without any thought for you. People seem to make certain judgements when it's convenient for them, or when they feel uncomfortable and want to pass on any guilt to someone else to make THEM feel better. Again, that's my opinion, which will be different or the same as others.

wow - 2 opposing views - just goes to show that such matters are down to personal opinion and that there is no single right answer

the main thing has to be that whatever you do, you can live with yourself

I can live with myself if i sued him or made him really understand what an arsehole he is so that he has to "live with it".

I guess i have a warped sense of justice but im not a firm believer in the concept many have of being able to undo a lifetime of wrongs with a bit of redemption etc just before you die. I believe you have to live with what youve done and that no one has the right to ask for or expect forgiveness, but should count themselves lucky if its forthcoming.

Though a bit of internet stalking i know my brother hasnt bothered to contact him so i guess im not alone in that sense in bearing a bit of a grudge.

My half sister claims that my dad is a "changed man" and has been for 10 years...... now i do believe some people can change (albeit it changing doesnt undo the past), but if he did change as my half sister believes (deludedly in my opinion), then why wouldnt he contact us?? Hes had contact details passed on by my grandparents on his side of the family (whove always tried to convince him to get in contact) so its not like hes had no opportunity!! So he obviously hasnt changed that much!!! I still think its all about him and him being selfish wanting to quell his guilt now he knows his times up.

I guess i probably have a warped perception on death too, or rather it has at times been "normalised" in some ways, and it hasnt gone unnoticed by me how many people suddenly need the comfort of believing or wanting redemption before they die.

There are many reasons for him to not contact you, usually down to bravery (or lack thereof). Also, I don't believe the point is to make him feel better or redeemed; it is more for yourself to feel as if you did what you could, and to let go of bitterness. If you don't feel you have any then it isn't worth worrying about.

I think id of been better off not ever hearing from him! I just feel if i actually went to see him id say a lot i probably shouldnt and even if the family there didnt stop me saying such things (i suspect they would stop me before i got my point across) i doubt it would make me feel better plus i doubt hed listen. At least if i sue him, he cant not listen and he has no choice but to face things when papers land on his doorstep. No way he can hide behind something then, plus its in a language he understands. I doubt id get a penny but thats not the point.

I have anger not bitterness.

I think that if you were 100% set that you didnt want to see him, you wouldnt even contemplate asking peoples oppinion. I think deep down there is a part of you that is concidering it, under all the anger etc

If your anything like me, the only memories i had as a kid of my dad were of him beating my mum up, giving me a few wacks not one good memory. He never paid a penny ither, dispite owning clubs, pubs security busnisses etc. But you know what his money means nothing to me, lived withought it so i can live withought it now

I grew up plotting the day i finally met him, when i was a man and could fight back

Knock on the door, bat straight in the head

Knock the door, punch him, knock him down, the keep punching

So many thoughts used to go through my head, then eventually i did meet him, and lets just say it didnt go how i planned. I shook his hand lol I had every intetion of never seeing him, but something just would not go away

Maybe if you were to see him it may change your feelings but regardless of his past IMO you got to give a dying man his last wish. Forget your self and be there for your family and if that means bitting the bullet, you kinda got to do it

at the end of the day Warren.. its your decision, you know how you feel deep down..

you could do what I did (although my mother wasnt dying like)
Id never met her b4 and a few years back was curious as to what she was like,after heaing the stories why she put myself and brother in to care without telling my dad, anyways as I was already in the care of social services was abit of a bonus as they tracked her down....
I met her, saw what she was like and well.. never again, end of the day shes never gona see me graduate, get married or whatever and tbqh thats her fault.....
but at least I did it ( For me not anyone else)

good luck mate...

isn't it strange how our parents can screw us up?

parenthood isn't easy, but too many people do not take responsibility for the children they bring into this world - one look on the Jeremy Kyle show demonstrates this admirably

I might write a letter but id need to work out a way of it being delivered to him, not to his wife first as if i wrote a scathing letter id imagine if its pre-read by someone else then it might never be read by the intended recipienton grounds of not wanting to upset the "dying man".

Ben i think parents not taking responsibility/screwing it up is one of the prime reasons our society is so screwed up today and the fact we are in social terms going backwards as a human race and rapidly so!! Sadly jeremy kyle show is just the tip of the iceburg of the real world!!!

I guess some people could argue that growing up learning to be 100% selfish, not give a fuck about anyone but yourself and shagging around all the time is actually in evolutionary terms garunteeing survivival of the species. After all its not the population of the hard working morally responsible people thats explodng in this country, but the underclass living off the state who are reproducing out of control!!!

Latest posts

Back