Coolant again

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

Going to flush the system this saturday. Anyone done this before, got any advice? Ive got some cleaning stuff (holts quick flush £4 from halfords) and a big tub of coolant to fill it up with. Ive got access to a ramp so i can get underneath the car. Might do the oild too while im at it, was last done in september.

Have you got overheating problems?

Can't say I've ever flushed a cooling system in some forty-odd years motoring.

My fear would be that it might leak once flushed (If it ain't broke etc.)

Let us know how you get on.

Oil - that is important, definitely do this. I had the Puma oil changed every 6,000 miles.

Ford say you should change the coolant every 5 years. Mine is quite greasy, it came out when i changed a hose on it last week so i want to do it.

Despite it being a closed system, impurities must eventually get into it, so i just want to make sure i get them all out. I didnt think it was an unusal event though, halfords had quite a few products for doing it.

I know, we are all tempted by the 'magic glop' products in Halfords, even someone as cynical as me. Just this lunchtime I nearly spent £11 on some snake oil that promised it could deliver either 17.5 extra horsepower or 17.5% extra horsepower (I wasn't concentrating)

My worry with cooling system flushing has always been that shifting some gunge might make a leak appear.

It the car is adequately cooled with the gunge present, why bother? Just drain off the old and plonk in some new would be my course of action.

But you've bought the stuff now so you may as well use it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

My concern is that as the car ages, the gunk may cause a blockage. The car will be 8 this year in novemeber, and is at a prime age for things to start going in a big way. When i had the cambelt changed it took the guy 6 hours as everything will so tight, alot of it was untouched from the factory.

Back