Coolant Always Needs Topping Up

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper65

Noticed over the last few weeks the coolant constantly needs topping up, I fill it to the Maximum and within a week I'm on Minimum, I thought I had cured it a few weeks back after fitting a Jubilee Clip on the thermostat hose that was leaking but coolant is still being lost.

I have no idea where the leak could be now! I have checked around the hoses and to my knowledge can't see any loss of water, also checked the oil for water and all seems ok.

any advice guys on tracking this leak?

thanks in advance :thumbs:

This was the place it was originaly Leaking Martin, lots of dried pink pink coolant around that area and on top of the gear box. after following advice off hear I removed the battery tray, cleaned it all up and fitted a Jubilee clip. it doesn't look like it is leaking there again so I'm totaly stumped....

Mine used to "use" coolant, but I never found a leak. Still, water is free so never bothered me topping it up on the weekly check. Purists will tell you to only use ionised water and all that but that's not especially important in my opinion.

Are the head gaskets strong on pumas ?
Mate had the same thing with a peugeot (think they are known to have weak ones 307 anyway) and it was not until he was constantly losing coolant for a couple of months that the oil started going milky.

did you look at my guide? when cleaning under the coil pack completely remove pipe and scrape at fuzzy coolant / oxidized aluminium like a man posessed for at least twice as long as you think you should be until it is completely solid; the oxide can feel solid but isnt and lets water through like a very hard sponge.

other than that; check thermostat housing above air con; its plastic and can start to warp; just changed mine. ran ok ish for a few months just using a bit here & there then started getting very low then started pi$$ing it everywhere! buy the whole housing £20 not just the £3 seal as itl only go again

your guide would have been helpful Jacko if I had seen it, basically all I did was removed the Battery tray and the original spring clip and hose, scraped all the oxide off with a screw driver and small wire brush, replaced the hose with a Jubilee clip and wrenched it up.

It doesn't seem to be there where I'm loosing coolant although I wouldn't put money on it, all seems dry in that area compared to when it was leaking there.

It must be going somehwere as I'm topping it up every week! seen a small amount on the road too which indicates its on the left of the engine compartment...

when you say left,is that as you are facing the engine,if so more than likely its the water pump,but remove the plastic rocker cover 1st tho and check the plugs in the head in between the spark plugs...

Its the lefthand side looking from the front of the car Martin! I have seen some coolant on the floor on this side where the car stands. I left the car ticking over for a good 15 minutes today to see if I could spot the leak but no joy, this is turning out to be a awkward one to find.

I have same problem, it is leaking into spark plug bay which was cauding misfiring. sounds like a new head gasket me thinks.

easy answer guys, I had the same problem recently, coolant leaking from the core plugs, i took it to a garage who told me i needed a new head, instead i used the new Radweld plus, which is specially designed for this type of leak, followed the instructions and hey presto.. i also had to change the spark plugs .. now i have no more problems and runs sweet ... obviously i guess this is a temp fix but seems to be holding may get you out of trouble.

Have similar problem - significant loss of coolant, but only when driving because putting white sheet under engine overnight showed nothing. Cooling system is under pressure when running and hot, so thought there must be weak spot at a connection. Having learned not to think the worst (e.g. leaking into cylinder head), checked all hoses and joints - it is simply a case of looking for pink stains (assuming you have nice pink coolant). Found pink stains and some drips after a drive under the air con pump and the sump, and could see the source at the thermostat housing above! Dismantled it and saw 'not great' rubber seals, but was not 100% convinced the seals were so leaky. Cleaned mating surfaces thoroughly so all looks like new. Went to Ford for new seals but was advised that the housing itself often warps slightly (it's plastic!) and that is enough to cause bad leaks under pressure. Mine looked fine but on closer examination it does appears to be warped as it didn't sit flush on a flat surface, so it can't clamp the thermostat seal to the engine fully. So bought the thermostat seal and a new housing which comes with one seal. (Tested thermostat and it is fine.) Will update this when all is fitted as I'm tired now!

Latest posts

Back