Coolant loss....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart1275

Hi Puma Fans

My puma overheated this morning while going slowly in traffic temp gauge seemed to swing into the red very quickly!!
I stopped and found the expansion tank empty!!
I have now refilled it and driven a few miles the tank has remained full but the engine is getting really hot!! is their someway it might be blocked from circulating!! sounds like pressure around the engine but none in the tank if that makes any sense.
It will require a good strip down I know as I am not going to take any chances with this piece of mechanical joy best engine ever made in my opinion. Just wondered if anyone had any similar experiences.
Cheers.

Can you explain how you think there is pressure around the engine..?
First thing I would suggest is to start it up to get it warmed up. As it does, feel the coolant pipes to see if they all start to get hot.
Also check to see if the radiator starts to get hot... but DON'T put your hand through the fan to find out!

Or, you could take off some of the coolant hoses and see which ones have coolant in them.

The thermostat may be stuck shut, radiator could be blocked or the coolant pump may be faulty. Even a faulty HCV (heater control valve) can cause overheating problems.. although the way they are designed suggests they should not be able to.

Coolant tank is warm but engine itself is hot enough to cook a steak on and making all the usual sounds hot engines make (I used to run a metro for my sins which was more or less held together with weekly doses of bars sealant) I really needed the puma to stop-gap between vehicles as I want to do some body work on it in the summer so its a bit of sods law! no matter I will find a way.
Thanks for the advice it is appreciated

Hi Stuart
Jack the car up and whilst underneath look at the thermostat housing which is mounted onto the engine block low down after ant to the right of the rear of the alternator.
They commonly leak ,if it is leaking, you should see red coolant dripping from there and also stain marks. If its that a Circoli good quality replacement is available from eurocarparts ( which has the Ford OE part number moulded in it) from eurocarparts for £10 delivered v Fords £38 + vat. Whilst there renew the thermostat and Thermostat seal
Instructions on how to change are within the "How to section " on this site.

Thanks for the info just had time to have a quick look and the coolant is coming from beneath the alternator as you say DOH. Odd it only does it now and again I presume this is something to do with the thermostat opening? Gave me a right scare when I saw it rolling out of the block thought it was somehow cracked but hoping you are on the money doh. checked the pipes going into and out of the valve towards the bulkhead and water is flowing through them and the heater is nice and warm so I presume not the valve thingy?

Not out of the block but from that area!! I will hold my hands up and say I thought the thermostat was on the other end of the engine below the dizzy

Housing fixed and temp as normal bit of a squeak coming from the back of engine maybe bit of oil on belt. Will get a new one but I really want to remove the air con pump anyone seen a guide on doing this. I know I will need the non aircon belt but apart from that what will it entail?

Latest posts

Back