Crash & Insurance *RESULT*

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nippydee

After our Zetec S Fez was crashed into today by a tractor I have a questions.

Alot of time effort and money has been put in the car, insurance premium paid in full yearly. Car is cherished and much loved by my fella.

IF the assesment come back as Write Off - can this be contested?

We will probably not get realistic worth of the car, and all the fittings and extras will be taken - can we appeal to get these extras back before write off?

If write off at Cat D can we buy the car back at a cheaper price and sell off the parts ourselves recouping the money back from claim?

Also - can we claim the repair loss if they threaten write off... against the 3rd party's insurance to ensure a repair? Example, take them to get the car completely repaired?

Many thanks.

you can buy back the salvage although a lot of companies dont like it.

remember it is YOUR car not the insurance companies. Ownership only transfers to them once you have been paid in full as final settlement.

you need to be quick. The scrap yard and crash repair yard industries are full of fucking thieves and its VERY common for people to get thier car written off, go to collect personal effects and find all the nice custom/shiney parts have already been stolen by employees. I know people whove had cosworths written off and bought them back to find thousands worth of parts just disapeared!! so you need to keep on top of the yard whos got your car as well as the insurance company.

a zetec s is not worth much sadly in insurance eyes so wont take much to write it off. salvage should be cheap though and most people make more than the salvage cost in selling the parts etc. part of the reason why many of these places think its ok to rob written off cars as i guess they cant rob the insurers with overinflated repair costs!!

Well said Warren, I got straight onto the scrap yard that had my bike last year to tell them to send me the tax disc and a load of wired in accessories that I'd fitted. I also had a trickle charger connector point wired in which to a layman would just look like a few random wires with a plastic block on the end but without them my (not cheap) charger would have been completely worthless.

Everything came within a few days but I wrekon if I'd left it more than 1 or 2 days the bike would have been stripped. Even worse for a car as more of them have parts that are usuable or sellable.

Damn right - however - they missed the front end off the assesment, so waiting to see if we have to insist the work is done (how they missed a bent bonnet and broken headlight is beyond me it was on the accident description).

Abit of a relief, lets see how we get on after the weekend.

Tuesday is the day we find out. No good so far :( Total loss dept left a message for us to phone but they are closed for the Bank Holiday.

Now we need ideas as to how to get the full amount we need to purchase a like for like car. (If)!

Unlikely as Steve had the Fez tailored by Ford on purchase with a employee voucher. Zetec S with Air con, front heated screen, leather seats, sunroof, ipod connector, other bits we added ourselves were strut brace, painted airbox and red details under bonnet...Somehow me thinks it aint going to happen soon!

Very possible that the Fez will be WO. Insurance called today with a quote of £4500 cost of repair - value of car £5500 (According to them).
You can see them on AutoTrader for £6500 AT LEAST! Even without the bling (painted airbox etc) and stuff we have on it.

It still might be repaired, however if not we will keep rejecting offers til we get what we want.

If it was a standard car fair enough wouldnt be half as arsed - but this car was tailored at purchase £1500 extras and no car we seen on Autotrader comes close.

Arrrgh....what to do? What do we pay insurance for!

HE'S COMING HOME - HE'S COMING HOME - HE'S COMING - JUNIORS COMING HOME!!!!

Spoke to the fabulous people at the engineers and assesment centre. With information and research gathered by yours truly - the original quote has now been changed to include the optional extras fitted to Junior on his arrival brand spanking new in 2006 to the bosom of Steve.

The percentage has gone down, the cars value has gone up. insurance company management guys say Yes....

Repair!

I am offically the best girlfriend in the world - although Im so tired I cant speak!

Back