De Cat - insurance company response!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike.

Question... I want to fit a decat but it will probably void my insurance if I do but thought I had to ask .........surprise me .....or not lol

Answer... No there are no insurance companies in the land that can cover De-Cats as it makes the car unroadworthy and you cannot cover a car that is unroadworthy. It use to be a case if your car passed the MOT then it was fine so people would get the MOT with the cat in place and then take it off afterwards knowing they were ok for a year but in April 2012 (maybe 2011 dont quote me on that) the law changed saying that the minute the cat is removed its illegal. You can actually get on the spot fines of up to £000's by VOSA for a spot check that they are doing now.

I'm guessing the people running de-cats tell the insurer its a 100cell sports cat and just take the chance.

In the big scheme of things de-cat is a very minor mod. We cover cars running tons of mods, its just a fact that it is now classed as illegal to remove the cat from a car made after 1993. Otherwise we would happily cover it.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

Back