Deleting middle silencer

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi guys

Some say deleting middle silencer gives an amazing engine sound, but others say it will affect mpg a lot in the bad way. Any opinions? Has anyone tried it? Cheers

I didn't personally feel that it affected MPG when I fitted my Miltek. Definitely preferred the sound without it.

With those that have gone decat (mainly for track use) have often reported that with a complete straight through system, although there's an improvement in engine response below 3000rpm it's more sluggish above and that's due to a complete loss of back pressure (this could relate to an increase in mpg if driving habits are the same with compensating increased revs for the same output) if you are keeping the cat when it will made no difference to pressure/output or mpg with deleting the mid box.

Best advice can only be given when your objective is known. If you want more performance then ditch it and book the car in for some map work. It’s a big change and all engines behave slightly differently so yours might want a different ignition profile and a different fueling plan. Do this and you get significant benefits.
If you just want easy power then leave the exhaust for now and go for the low cost / high returns like off the shelf remap, throttle body, filter element and airbox mods, etc...

Hi,
I run a FRP exhaust manifold with sports cat and standard rear box. It sounds really good, not to loud and does not sound or look boy racer. MPG about the same, performance better than standard set up. Hope this is of help to you.

Regards
Richard

Back