DeTangod rear lights.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper

Ever since I'd seen this picture,

Image004-1.jpg

I'd been playing with the idea of adapting the rear lights to a clear/red/clear setup and on Friday I ordered a pair of rear lamps from a local scrapyard.

TAILL002.jpg

They arrived on Monday morning and I spent a bit of time working out what the best way of taking them out would be. I wanted them to look good but also wanted to avoid any water ingress into them.

So with this in mind I thought it would be better not to remove the light lenses but to cut them out from the back but in such a way that it's easy to glue it back together.

I got out a junior hacksaw blade and got to work and managed to work out where to cut to get a hole big enought to fit the lens through and 5 minutes later I had my answer

TAILL004.jpg

TAILL001.jpg

It really helps that you need four taillights to make two because that gives you two to practice on befor you remove the lamps from your car (Three 10mm nut hold each lamp on, take them off and disconnect the bulb holders and it'll come free).

5 minutes later it'll look like this
TAILL005.jpg

And from the front, like this.
TAILL003.jpg

The orange lens are just held in with a clip at both sides and should slide out of the hole with a wee tug. I then washed out the inside of the lamp with water as there was a lot of plastic fragments in it. The white lens (which you'll have broken out of their lamps and are sided), should pop through the hole and with a bit of fiddling pop into place. Then with a slodge of glue, secure the cut out parts back into their casings.

Leave it for five minutes to set and you are good to put them back in your car. Remember to change the bulbs to orange ones or silver bulbs that flash orange (like I have). These are available from VW for £9.57 each, part number N10256404 or from ebay.

Then you too will have sexy lights like these
tail1004.jpg

tail1001.jpg

I'm not great with these tools but would tackle this again no problem and at £47 for the two lamps, a fairly cheap mod.

Good write up there jasper - I think that could look super cool on a silver Puma...

*ponders*

I did a similar mod with my brother on my old 200 (now his)

586525_10_full.jpg

Which I thought looked uber cool at the time and this was 2/3 years ago.

Didn't need 2 sets of lights though, just unsealed the lights took out the orange reflector and sealed them back up. Took about 3-4hours though as the sealant was hard to shift.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

red said:
I did a similar mod with my brother on my old 200 (now his)

586525_10_full.jpg

Which I thought looked uber cool at the time and this was 2/3 years ago.

Didn't need 2 sets of lights though, just unsealed the lights took out the orange reflector and sealed them back up. Took about 3-4hours though as the sealant was hard to shift.

This is popular on Fiesta's as well and, IMO, does make a big difference.

Puman Being. I don't think I could make much money selling these or I possibly would. i do have a little side line stripping transporters and selling the bits. I think it's probably paid for the Puma and will hopefully pay for a SS exhaust soon.

Good bit of lateral thinking there :cool:

The biggest problem when splitting the entire light is resealing it properly, most fail and you end up with a leaky light which fills with condensation which kinda detracts from the whole point of making it look better in the first place... :?

If i do it im going to have to buy 4 lights, as i dont trust myself with my good ones. Thats were the problem lies, talking £50+ there easy!

You'll only need 3 as I'm giving you my old one on sunday ;)

Yes, and thats very kind of you :eek:k:

Still 3 to buy though. Suppose i can get rid of my originals if the new ones go to plan.

Trust me. If a ham-fisted fool like me can do it you should'n have any problems. It really is very easy.

If you want you can send me the lamps and I'll do it for you or there is always Ford fair. I'm really keen to head down to the event.

I am thinking of writing a full history since the first green puma. so that might take some time as I have to look through 100GB of photos on my computer and compile every one of them. :p

e3silversurfer said:
good thinking. I think I can improve on the design using a dremel ;) Will let you guys know how I get on with it (after I finish another mod)

I'm in a position to do this now but how did you get on with the Dremmel Elvin?

I don't think I'm going to just pop the clear lenses in as is, nothing is ever straightforward with me :p

not really getting anywhere.... still planning a clean point of attack. what do you have in mind?? :)

I have got my door handles to complete first.... been doing spray painting the entire time.

I'm not going to use the Dremmel with this- it'll produce too much heat and melt the plastic. Good old hand tools.

Luckily I have a pair of clear lenses only and a pair of spare rear light units (total cost for all=£35 :cool: )...curiously someone has glued the original orange lenses in place (I suspect to maybe try and seal the light better) so I'll need to carefully break the glue off.

I'll hopefully post some pics if it all goes well.

Back