DiY Carbon Wrapping

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil said:
Yep, and I'm the first to admit the packaging is awful, but as I very rarely cary passengers or luggage, it's not an issue :)

By space i meant there's loads so not a mini.

Back in the day when i was 17 a mate had an original mini and we were 5 up all squashed in knees up to our chins.

Now you have to phone someone the other side of the back seat there's so much room! haha

Haha, in comparison, yeah :lol:

Anyway, back on topic to the carbon wrap stuff...

I was mainly more curious than anything.

I've checked out 3M and they seem good but not really found sizes/prices to suit.

Just an idea for small items really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQiQhm6n4g&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They sell 3M Di-Noc carbon fibre vinyl here and you can get a free 100mm x 50mm sample sized sheet (30p postage). Also do rigid and flexible real carbon fibre sheet (and show you how to fit it):
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carbon Fibre Skinning:
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTWaV1imzs&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My view.

'Carbon fibre' is the vinyl roof for the 2010s

A few years from now everybody will look at a car with 'carbon fibre' dash / mirrors / spoiler tips and say "Ah, that was the modding craze that replaced 'Lexus Lights' back at the turn of the decade."

The carbon wrapping its pretty easy to do, the new 3M di-noc stuff is the one you want if your gonna do it, just need a hair dryer to warm it so it fits nicely round edges, my friend did it in his focus and looked really smart actually

Any idea what size sheet I'll need to do 1x wingmirror, I want to give it a go before committing to buying the proper carbon fibre mirrors?

I've had a look on ebay and for £25 delivered yo can get a good size amount that could do two wing mirrors i reckon.

Either way you can just buy more or use up the scraps on other bits & bobs :D

hmm might give this more of a look into actually think i got few ideads of what i can do with that got a friend who can do carbon wrapping quite well so if all goes wrong ill ask him for help haha.

you can now get the real effect carbon wrap that is textured, and really really really does look like and feel like the genuine article at a fraction on of the price. i have seen some on a couple of cars now and its actually hard to tell the differnce.

Clarkie - You're probably on about the 3m Di-Noc stuff, it's supposed to be really good. :)

I'll grab some bits off eBay this week, have a go at doing some small bits.

Hmm... I might look into trying this out myself too.
The paint job on my puma has gone rotten. Maybe a bit of sanding down, filling dents and wrapping it up in vinyl might do the job...
Always wanted a matt black puma....

Hi,

I'm training to be a sign writer and I can tell you from experience that getting carbon wrapping right is not easy. However, do not be discouraged, we all have to start somewhere. If I were you I'd pick myself up a couple of scrap pieces of vinyl - any colour - and practice first.

Grab a relatively large bowl and a hair dryer.

Practice wrapping the outside and then the inside of the bowl using the hair dryer to warm everything up and keep it warm. The idea is to stretch the vinyl so that it moulds to the shape of the bowl. If you can do this without having to cut the material and without having any creases, you're ready to have a go at your car.

Jen

I imagine with the carbon stuff you have the added extra headache of trying to keep the pattern straight as well as keeping it wrinkle/crease free.

don't think it would look good if the pattern was all weavy rather than in a straight line. Good luck for those trying it though :D

Back