Does my car hate me?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeneyedfi

Ive had my Puma for a few months now.

MOT due tomorrow and it's booked in for 12noon. Lovely.

Haven't had ANY problems with it up until 2pm this afternoon.... ABS and Traction Control light flickered on and stayed on.

Wonderful! I'm beginning to despair of cars all together, I feel like they're against me! :(

Fingers crossed she passes MOT, the lights went off on the way home and it was too dark to fiddle around with sensors etc so I am hoping that all is well tomorrow!

Wish me luck! (I have owned 5 cars and not one has passed the MOT first time!)

Good luck! Don't be disheartened...it's an old car now so the odd thing will go wrong I'm afraid, but it's all worth it!

OK - so it had a test. And funnily enough.. the ABS lights didn't come on this time!

However....

Nearside rear brake recording little or no effort

Nearside rear parking break recording little or no effort

Nearside front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement

Offside front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement

Nearside rear Trailing arm has excessive play in a pin/bush.

Offside rear Trailing arm has excessive play in a pin/bush.

Parking brake efficiency below requirements

Adv: Oil Leak

So yeah, my OH has a busy time ahead of him :(

{Nearside rear brake recording little or no effort.}
{Nearside rear parking break recording little or no effort.}
{Parking brake efficiency below requirements.}

Remove rear drums, clean out dust and muck, clean shoes, or replace if worn (not expensive, so well worth replacing). Check cylinders for leaks and adjusters are working (note, in the "HOW TO" the adjusters are the later version), apply copper-grease to all moving/sliding surfaces and reassemble. Check handbrake cables and pivots are moving freely and lubricate pivots. Pump peddle a few times to fully adjust shoes to drums, then check handbrake function, adjust if required.
HOW TO:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

{Nearside front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.}
{Offside front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.}

You'll need to check which bushes are gone, I would guess the front rears. You can either replace the whole Front Lower Arm (comes complete with new bushes and lower ball joint) with a cheap pattern part, but general opinion is to keep the original Front Lower Arm and replace bushes and lower ball joint if necessary. If it is the front rears, get the uprated ones used on the FRP (Finis 1042691), approx. £6+ each. The Front Lower Arm has to be removed so that the old front rear bush can be pressed out and the new one pressed in (you'll need a friendly garage/engineering company to do this and make sure they note how far in the original is located). While its off, fit new front bushes as well - standard Ford part is Finis 1055191, approx. £3.50+ each.
HOW TO:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lower Ball Joints:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nearside rear Trailing arm has excessive play in a pin/bush.
Offside rear Trailing arm has excessive play in a pin/bush.

Thats pretty standard for older Puma and can be a pig of a job, see here:
HOW TO:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you :)

I've passed all the info to my (luckily) very car minded boyfriend.

He's got all the parts (just standard ones) to replace the knackered ones and the bill came to £125.85 with a local business we always use.

I'm guessing we will try and replace as much as we can this weekend although with the way the weather is going I don't hold out much hope!

Thank you again!

So, the works finally been finished on my car.

What with christmas and the awful weather my boyfriend only just completed everything yesterday!

It took him approx 5 hours to do the rear bushes! What a job! He put poly bushes in the back.

The rear brakes both needed replacing. Apparently bleeding them was a pig job also.

Also when back there he noticed the brackets holding on the brake lines were completely surrounded in rust resulting in the brackets coming away. So some welding needed there.

Changed both control arms.

And it passed today! Whoop whoop!

I have my freedom back! :D

Anything come of the advisory stating oil leak? I got that on my last MOT too, just keeping an eye on the oil and it seems fine. Does seem like a bit of a silly advisory. No comment as to where abouts, amount of leakage. How much oil on the engine does it take for them to advise that there's an oil leak?

Nice to know such a long list was solved with some good old fashioned fettling! Enjoy your transformed puma! Need to get my bushes changed soon, 2 years ago it had an advisory for wearing bushes, but nothing came up in it's last MOT...

Back