Door open warning lamp

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazr

Hi Guys,

My daughters Puma (Bought about a month or so back) has the door open warning lamp in the dash constantly on. I have checked all door switches, and the boot and bonnet switches none of which are (now) faulty.

Are there any other places I should check, and would this cause the battery to drain when the car isn't used for a week?

Gaz.

Door switches aren't the pin switches, but are built into the latch, and are known to fail. If the bonnet and boot are ok, it would suggest one of these.

Thanks Flash,

I guess the door trim will have to be removed then, Oh well the retainers have already been half broken by a previous owner.

Gazr said:
Hi Guys,

My daughters Puma (Bought about a month or so back) has the door open warning lamp in the dash constantly on. I have checked all door switches, and the boot and bonnet switches none of which are (now) faulty.

Are there any other places I should check, and would this cause the battery to drain when the car isn't used for a week?

Gaz.
When you say you've checked all the switches, did you actually perform the built in diagnostic test?

Security system self-diagnostics
If your 'door open' light comes on for no apparent reason or your alarm keeps sounding for no
apparent reason, you may have a faulty pin-switch in one of the doors, the boot, or the bonnet.
The alarm self-diagnostic can be selected by depressing any alarm pin-switch 6 times in quick
succession. Once this is done the alarm will bleep once. Opening the boot, doors or bonnet
will sound the horn once if that detector is okay and twice if there's a fault with it. If nothing
is opened or closed for twenty seconds the security system will quit diagnostic mode and
return to normal.
Got the same problem on ours but haven't had a chance to do the test yet. Will be trying it at the weekend though.

seatchris said:
where are the pin switches to push to do the diagnostic test ?
I think it depends... some are the normal plunger ones (like most interior lights work off), others are in the latch.
Can't remember what the deciding factor is off the top of my head.

As I understood it, the bonnet was the easiest to use but when I tried it, I couldn't get it to work.
Might be something to do with the fact that our boot switch is broken, as I discovered on closer inspection. Might be worth checking yours.

Pic rehosted from PumaPeople
gallery15801253114274.jpg

(it's the white plastic bit on the upper right of the latch)

[edit] Rehosted pic due to permissions

This may be relevant, but may not...

When I bought my Puma, I also had the door open light constantly on. I removed each of the door switches/plungers and checked them with a continuity tester to check for operation. When I got to the boot, I luckily found that the black electrical connector, on the right side of the latch as you look into the boot, had came disconnected but still looked like it was connected. After pushing it back on, the light went out.

Back