Drum to disk brake swap

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raso97

I am interested in swapping the rear drum brakes from my 1997 Ford Puma for disk brakes heard it can be done with standard rear disk brakes from a MK1 Focus can someone assist me with this as I am pretty new to the Puma life? :)

Hi
Yes the rear drums on your Puma can be swapped out for MK1 Focus items as quite a few on here have done. You will, however, have to convert the Focus hubs and stub axles to take the Pumas ABS Sensors and rings as the Focus ones work differently and aren't compatible with the Pumas ABS system. You will also need a Fiesta ST150 handbrake cable and probably new rear flexi brake hoses.
Barry

'Coz it looks soooo much better :wink:

Have a look at this, it will most probably answer all of your questions https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=302532#p302532

And works better, less maintenance, more reliability etc. The ONLY disadvantage is fitting them in the first place.

Thank you friends I really appreciate the help, is the ST150 cable the only one that will fit because here where I live it's quite hard to get parts from any ST model of Ford...

red said:
[post]365945[/post] I agree it does look better..
If that's all that's needed then you can just spray up the brake drums in mid grey and artistically paint chrome silver calipers on them.

Not like anyone is going to lie down flat to examine them. They'll look fine when walking past. :)

[ref]Frank[/ref], instead of risking the painting yourself you could just invest in some of these babies?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Blue-Aluminum-Disc-Brake-Racing-Cover-Drum-Car-DIY-Accessories-/272518041183?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

fced1f72-c1f2-33a4-3fed-cfb0351e5a14.jpg

Lads will Mondeo mk3 rear brakes fit and stub axel my puma . its for sprints and hillclimbs so dont need abs

JaSto^ said:
[post]368834[/post] Hi, can I use Fiesta St150 brake caliper to do rear disc conversion?
Yes, but the handbrake lever on the caliper will need filing / grinding as it will foul the beam

Great, thank you! I tried to install focus hubs and carriers with st Fiesta calipers to early Puma (fork mounting) and realized that it's really tight fit, without hand brake mechanism it might fit (still really close to the beam) but no chance with the mechanism. Can you say your opinion is it more reasonable to grind mechanism or just sell these calipers and buy focus ones?

I fitted Focus calipers and the handbrake echanism fouled the beam. I think all the 253mm disc mechanisms do.
Fortunately, the bits that clash are able to be ground back without affecting the operation.

I binned my ABS when I fitted them and used restrictors in the brake lines for the rear circuits (from a Fiesta) and it sorts the brake balance out just right.
Without them the car will overbrake on the rear, locking it up..
Which is not a good idea on track or road!

Oh yes.
Source suitable brake lines before you start taking things apart, Std ones dont quite fit. (I think Puma fronts do, but not sure..)

Back