DVLA query - or cockup?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenF

so, I notified DVLA when I part-exchanged my last car, and have had acknowledgement from them confirming that I no longer own it

then today I received a reminder from DVLA to get a tax disc or SORN the same car by the time the tax disc runs out on 28 Feb

given that I returned the last tax disc to get February's road fund licence fee back (which I have had already) and given that I have already notified DVLA that I no longer own the vehicle, can I just ignore the reminder to get a tax disc? My concern is that if I ignore it, then DVLA will end up giving me grief because I didn't tell them I no longer own the car (again!)

anyone else got experience of this sort of thing and can advise?

thanks!

Its annoying if you have done the correct thing correctly, but its better to contact them and tell them again as it can only lead to more frustration if they impose some kind of sanction and you have to sort it out at court or something.

Don't ignore them whatever you do. Give them a ring and sort it out. Ask for the name of the person you are talking to and write it down.
Barry

If you have confirmation of them receiving notification it is the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. The renewal forms are probably produced well in advance. I think I had the same thing happen when I changed back from a private plate. Email them, cheaper than phoning and you have reply in writing instead of verbal!

The dvla are in a mess at the moment, following shutting the regional offices.

I have had a different, but similar cockup

Bought the freelander with the owners private plate on, agreed to put it on retention for him, went to local DVLA office and got the forms checked etc, then get a letter from the DVLA saying they will process in in the next 2 weeks, then get a text from the previous owner saying he has got a new V5 for the car, speak to the DVLA who have no record of the first letter, then get a form to fill in for a new V5 and have to send rubbing of the vin plate etc, then 24hrs later get the V5 but no tax disk or MOT, then phone DVLA who admit they don't have a clue but suggest going to the post office for a new V5 which will be free, then get charged £7 for something that I should have received in the post.

Mindyou worth applying for a V5 for the Veyron they lost !!

Piss ups and Breweries comes to mind

Back