E85 and zetec S

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex'

Hello !

I use the search function but i don't find any response about using e85 gas on the zetec S engine.

Why i search how to modify the zetec S to run on E85 (85% alcohol 15% normal gas) ???

it's just because it's very cheap betwen 0,55 to 0,90 € by liter

Sp95 or 95e10 cost approx 1,45€ by liter
sp98 cost 1,50€

For a daily drive it's very interesting

but it's needs to modify a little the engine, to don't have malfunction ... with standard specs the fuel mixture is to lean
- the best way is an engine map, but in france nobody remap EEC-V ecu

- the other way is to increase the fuel pressure and the size of the injectors

what are the size of an genuine blue or brown injector of zetec S engine ?

thanks for you help :wink:

Hi Alex
Because our Puma's are old cars now I would advise strongly not to use E85 fuel as there are certain elements of the fuelling system that may be destroyed by the corrosive nature of the extra Ethanol. I speak from experience after having my motorcycle (Aprilia) fuel tank enlarged and distorted by the lesser percentage ethanol fuel we have over here in the UK.
Ethanol does not like lots of plastics, brass, aluminium and it also attracts and absorbs water so it can cause corrosion in steel fuel tanks.
Barry

Just one item off a quick search:

https://roadguardians.org/september-2012-newsletter-biker-chads-corner/

Hi tuonokid,

At the begin of the e85, i have ready the same things on the french forum.
But some Puma and other car user use 50/50 e85 mix since more than 100 000 km without problem.

I don't put e85 in the Puma because it's not my daily car,
but i have my daily car Old 98 fiesta 1.25 zetec to test e85 ... I have try 50/50 mix but i fell a Lost of power,

I forget the Idea of remap it (it cost more than the car, and it's very rare to find somebody who can remap eec v écu)
So i search biggers injectors to try.

If someone know what type of injectors i can put on a zetec ?
Maybe zetec silvertop injectors ?

Stick with normal fuel or just buy a diesel or gas converted car. It's a lot simpler than chucking money at a car to run it on different fuel.

Cost of installation: between 500 and 700 euros for conventional engines.?
You could buy 2 Puma for that!
https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/grand-est/marne/reims/boitier-permettant-moins-polluer-economiser-enfin-homologue-1397455.html

A box allowing less polluting and saving finally approved
The installation of this housing "flexfuel" costs between 500 and 700 euros / Fismes, in the Marne, January 8, 2018 / © Laurent Meney / France 3 Champagne-Ardenne
The "flexfuel" boxes, which allow gasoline vehicles to run on a cheaper and less polluting fuel, were approved on December 18th. Back on the operation of this new technology.
By FM with Juliette Poirier, Vincent Thollet and Laurent Meney Posted on 09/01/2018 at 08:02
"When we replace 1 liter of gasoline with 1 liter of ethanol, we reduce CO2 emissions by 65%," explains Eric Lainé, president of the General Confederation of Beet Growers (CGB).

E85 superethanol is a biofuel made from beets. The flexfuel boxes, approved since last December 18th, will make it possible to manage the various fuel mixtures present in the tanks ", details Yohann Delcampe, manager of the Delcampe garage.

A cost between 500 and 700 euros
Car mechanics, motorists, bioethanol producers (many in the region) ...; Everyone should find his account.
Motorists will be able to choose to ride either unleaded 95, unleaded 98 or E85 superethanol.
Cost of installation: between 500 and 700 euros for conventional engines. Good news for garage owners. This craftsman marnes has seen increase by 15% already his requests for installation flexfuel - the name of the system - since September. And the demand is likely to increase.

Tax benefits and a cheaper fuel for motorists
Good news also for motorists who will enjoy tax benefits.
For the purchase of a gasoline vehicle, they will be able to change the registration for an E85, which was not the case before. A free registration card in Champagne-Ardenne
says the mechanic.

The interest of fuel is less polluting because it is composed at most of 85% of ethanol, produced from beetroot in particular.
In Champagne-Ardenne, one out of three beets is intended for the production of bioethanol.

Finally this biofuel is cheaper: 60 cents per liter, it could dethrone the diesel. To do this, it is still necessary that the service stations are equipped: for the moment in France, only 10% of them - 74 in the Grand Est including 31 in Champagne-Ardenne - distribute the E85.

RoadWarrior said:
[post]367585[/post] Stick with normal fuel or just buy a diesel or gas converted car. It's a lot simpler than chucking money at a car to run it on different fuel.

Hi,
if it was some year ago, i think i had buy a cheap old diesel, like golf td/tdi, fiesta TD, or 306 hdi, bmw e36 325 td ...

but now, because of the ecologist, old and cheap diesel is banned from some city ...
and it's very difficult to find a old diesel car in good shape ...

... to finish, diesel is not so cheap than some years ago ....

Ford engines aren't suited to run LPG, nor is it a good idea to expect 200,000 miles on an engine running LPG unless it's a big engine such as the Jeep 4.0L inline 6. Absoulute animal on fuel in town driving, but once on motorway even pulling a trailer it puts out some OK MPG.

There's really only one way to save money on any fuel - Drive less. All the methods to run "cheaper" fuels turn out no so "cheap" when you weigh in the costs of converting the engines to run that fuel. The fuel savings just went onto the installation of such systems. :wink:

LPG ? for me good idea on the paper .... not in reality for a little car

i don't know how it work in UK,
but in france, you can't install by yourself a LPG kit, and mot is more expensive and more difficult for LPG

and to finish, LPG is more rare than E85 in gas station ....

i want to try a cheap modification on my zetec fiesta .... a little bigger set of injector ... just to a have a little richest fuel mixture ...

i think 1.7 injectors can be the best choice for that, but i need to know the capacity/size of these injectors ... :wink:

You have to be aware that E85 eats into rubber seals as well into some plastic. So your grand plan of using bigger petrol injectors might collapse after some time when they melt down in contact with E85....

Back