early gearbox into later car. Will it work?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trublustu

Hi everyone. Help needed here...

I have a trackday Puma (W reg 2000) which has had a gremlin with the gearbox for a while.

To cut a long story short..
At Pembrey Circuit last weekend my box jammed in 4th.
This took the shine off my last session and means I need (another) new gearbox.

By chance a low mileage MOT failure has come my way, which is a really early R-reg, with analogue clocks)

My question is. can I use this gearbox in my track car.
I realise I`ll have no speedo but does the ecu need a signal from the speed sensor to run?

If so I need a newer box before Fordfair!!

I thought that they were all the same to be honest, other than the speedo drive. The one IanG supplied for my early car was from a later car but, other than a few details, fitted and works fine.

What year was the gearbox off Ian from? I was under the impression that the gearbox had to be taken apart to change over parts to make the speedo work if changing between analogue car gearboxes and digital car gearboxes?

Perhaps later to early cars gearbox swaps can be done but not the other way?

Interested to see the answer to this one

Not entirely sure, as said, it differed in some ways - on early cars there's a metal strap between the top of the gearbox bell housing and the engine block which had a large cable clip arrangement on the replacement (which I removed and tapped out the hole to take the strap). Couple of other bits and bobs that were slightly different. It could have been from one of the very last analogue cars though for all I know.

Back