Ecu and immobiliser

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyeff

Been having a few issues with my immobiliser, been told to change ecu and transponder. Is this a good idea. Been told that if I change the ecu it can cause problems?? I can change the transponder in the key no problem

Changing the ecu wil not cause any problems.

Do you have only one key? If you have more than one, is there trouble whit them all?

I ask, because you may only need a new key :)

I got another key, nothing wrong with the key. Defo the immobiliser. Going to keep the keys. is the immobiliser registered to the ecu?

Immobiliser is part of the ecu,if you get a 2nd hand unit also get the key for it,or it cost you a lot more to get keys programmed to new ecu

Right, can you sort me out with this then Ian? You sure I can pretty much just change this and it's not programmed to the car?

Do you get a flash code from the immobiliser LED? This may help you decide where the problem is.

Dannyeff said:
Is the receiver not programmed to the ecu?
The receiver doesn't need programming, it's the key that's programmed to the car engine management ECU.
When you turn the ignition on the LED will flash fast if there is a fault on the immobiliser, after around a minute of flashing fast it then changes and flashes a code. Long and short flashes and the code is repeated, for example 1 long flash followed by 6 short flashes is 16, any code will tell you the area of the immobiliser that is giving the problem.
The only problem with the ECUs usually is when water gets in and damages them inside but this usually causes misfires before the immobiliser fails.

Well funny you mention that it says there is a sslight miss fire. Gonna change the plugs tomorrow then take it from there

Back