Emergency here folks, help needed asap

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n1ck1984

DSC00018.jpg

20-11-06_1326.jpg

Right folks, i've got myself a situation.

This above, is my Dog. well... was my mothers before she died last year. but she asked me to look after him so i kept my word like i said i would. Since her death he's been fantastic! a gem. he's appeared more bouncy than usual and veryyyy sooky sooky!

anyways, tonight as i was in the bath i heard alot of hassle from down stairs. Turns out, the dog that's never hurt a fly has turned on my old man. left hand, right knee and his entire right arm are badly wounded. scratches, cuts and big arse puncture marks. I've seen to his injuries and all is well.

My old man for want of a description is basically the ginger guy out of braveheart. so we don't need to go into what happened to the dog...

Now, my dad was playing with him in the living room like the million other times he has. but tonight for some reason he turned. didn't even display signs of not wanting to play or anything like that.

He is a red haired retriever. they have been known to have a shorter temper than your average retriever but still, i dunno anyone who has been mauled by their own retriever..

Needless to say, my old man is having him put down tomorrow morning.

my only defense for the dog is that he hasn't been snipped.

A lot would argue that once a dog turns on the owner the party is over. and i agree.

i'm not wanting to go into my whole history of dogs because i'll be here all night and i don't have time.

Should i mount a defense on him being snipped rather than put down ?

Again i don't have time to go into my history with dogs, but there's a moral issue here that needs to be decided upon...I've a strange urge to defend him but that probably is due to my promise i made my mother. he may be put down before anyone even gets to post in this so it's a shot in the dark. but who knows.

Thoughts, as ever are deeply appreciated.

Sorry to hear all of this Nick. I would say if it was a nip then doggy could be easily defended and the snip would be the way forward. Unfortunately as you say he has made a mess of your old man, which usually means automatic euthanasia. :(

I don't know an awful lot about dogs, but for what it's worth we had a Labrador many moons ago. He was placid, playful and you could do almost anything with him. He only ever bit one person, and that was (as it turned out) because he was being encouraged to play and he was exceptionally ill. He died a couple of weeks later after massive heart problems. The only thing we can put this huge change in behaviour to was that he was ill and had had enough. :(

Saying all of that, I hope you prevail in this, although I rather suspect pooch has already been 'dealt with' by now!

Sorry to hear of your woes :(

I had a 10 year old lab that would always get out and go walking on his own for days. We thought about getting him the snip to calm him down a bit and after talking to the vets, didn't. How old is your dog? The vet said that the snip does normally create a calmer dog, but at anything over a couple of years old, the behaviour is "learnt" behaviour, rather than something that can be helped with the snip.

Maybe the stress your dog has encountered loosing your mum has changed his mood for the worse. He will be missing your mum as well remember.

Awww man really sorry to hear this :(

As Dal says... after the dog is a couple of years old their behaviour is extremely unlikely to be controlled by getting him castrated. Its very very sad what he has done and death can also have an affect on animals aswell.. strange creatures that they are but we love em...

Thing is, in a way its lucky its only happened to your dad (hope he isnt injured too badly).. what if he did it again but to a complete stranger or small child? I see your point entirely as id want to defend my own animal if this happened... but hes acted out of character once in the house... it could happen again, just somewhere more public unfortunately :(

Hope ya alreet mate...
you know where I am for a chat if ya need it :)

You need to get professional advice from the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors. I suggest not listening (well, with a pinch of salt at the very least) to any non-professionals as this is a very complicated situation and ignorance will not help you (no offence meant). I used to be a member when I was pursuing this as a career but have since moved over to the environment.

Sometimes the reason dogs 'do not show signs' is that we have manipulated their physiology so that they can't (e.g. floppy ears and lips). Sometimes they simply aren't noticed.

The snip is unlikely to help due to the dog's age as has been mentioned above. It also doesn't sound like it had anything to do with the attack. The only other option is to rehome the dog via e.g. the Blue Cross, where they employ behaviourists to sort these problems out. If they decide the dog is either unsuitable for kennels (some are extremely stressed, as you can imagine) or rehoming, then they will put it to sleep as it is in everyone's best interests (unlike places that keep dogs alive in kennels for years and years).

There are tons of questions I want to ask but since I am not fully qualified I don't want to risk giving poor advice. This dog needs a hell of a lot of understanding after this stressful situation and the cause of the attack will need to be found if rehabilitation is to occur. The level of damage to your father can also be to do with him fighting back and/or pulling away (not that that makes the attack OK).

Unless you are prepared for a lot of hard work and money then euthanasia is probably the best option. PM me if a telephone conversation will help mate x

Quick update.

Pooch Survived and was spared the guillotine. Turns out to be a bad tooth decay kinda situation aswell as a pulled tendon in his shoulder.

So he's due to be conked out and have a full dental done.

The lucky sod owes me one because his oldman was hell bent on terminating him.

So pooch survives!

Here he is below chilling and taking in the view, as you can see he's well and truely back in the good books. :lol:

kenzie.jpg

Glad all is well.... nice looking dog and would be a shame to see him suffer the long sleep over such a temporary blip.

Though, to play devil's advocate, all dogs are animals and only a few genes away from the wolf... they ALL have the ability to go a bit wild, at the drop of a hat. For example, that French woman that was the first face transplant recipient... it was her mild-mannered, placid, Labrador that chewed her face off one night.

some seem to be closer to the animal kingdom than other though, Vix :thumbs:

I am pleased that your pooch has made it, Nick - as long as there are no further incidents!

Nick love im soooo pleased your doggywoggy was spared!

My dog Barneybean (Border Collie black Lab cross) has turned very clingy after losing his mum Lizzyliz last year, a few times he has snapped and growled but we allow for that as he might be grieving - however always in the back of my mind is the what if? Never before mean natured, he clings to me like a shadow and when im having a 'bad ' day he even curls up next to me.

Try not to show your nervous around him, he may sense this. Treat him as normal and plenty of treats and love!

T x

Thank you all, He's been gold since then and knows full well he was bang out of order.

He's actually grown closer to members of the family he used to avoid and is more playful and relaxed. he used to grump and stress about the house but now he likes nothing more than slumping down on the rug or chilling out watching the footie with me and ma oldman.

All is well and good and hopefully it'll continue.

Although it has to be said, nobody plays with him in the manner that triggered the attack, so there is a barrier there now although he does still have loads of fun and daft moments.

:-D

hi nick,i have only just read of the problems with your poor lad,and i am so sorry for the loss of your mother....there are always reasons why our dogs act so out of character.i am a vet nurse and do come across these problems occasionally,and it normally stems from a health reason,ie bad tooth,which can be excruciating for them,,,because they are so much braver than ourselves,they will endure the pain for far longer,and until something else triggers it ,ie perhaps your father was playing tug,or inadvertently knocked his mouth,you probably wouldnt have noticed his dental problem until he had trouble eating.dogs do most definitely grieve,and also pick up on the grief around them,which i,m sure he would have done.if he has a shoulder problem,i,m sure your vet will put him on medication to relieve his stiffness and pain,but it is only you and your father that are able to put the spring back in his step.you definitely made the right decision to have him castrated,just be aware not to let him become overweight,consequently putting more pressure on his shoulder.if you need to pm me,you are very welcome..well done you!!

Latest posts

Back