Engine clatter/rattle on load

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakegt

Our 1.7 puma has developed a quite aggressive engine rattle when accelerating about 1500-2000 rpm.

At first I thought it was a heat shield but It's coming from the cam area.

No there's oil that's been dripping from somewhere in that area, I'm assuming it's the cam cover gasket but can't be sure so I'll change it anyway but concerned about this noise and what I could be?

The oil was on minimum when I last checked.

I'm thinking it could be VCT related?

I should have said it only does it for a second or two not all the time

When was the last cam belt change? Sounds like the tensioner's on it's last legs.
If that goes it's time for another engine.
Paul

VCT isn't doing much at 1500-2000rpm.

Cam belt tensioner if you're lucky, bottom end bearings if you're not would be my guess too.

Mine does the same, it's either the big end bearings or piston slap. Neither is terminal as mine's been doing it for as long as i've had it (5 years nearly). I've put in two sets of big end shells and use thick as fudge oil and it keeps it quiet. Although those who have met Smokey Joe in person know there's other issues that come with it and the only solution is a new engine.

Thanks for the reply guys, ill whip the cover off as soon as I get the power steering pump out the way. I've done the shells a few times on some Alfas but wouldn't say I enjoyed it

Cambelt was definitely changed in 2008 and apparently was done again more recently but no evidence of this which leads to believe it hasn't.

Thanks

Finally got the cover off and learnt a couple things along they way like take the water pump pulley off before removing aux belt, d'oh.

Made a little video, this is turning the engine forwards and backwards..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RNDWbXhMCc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back