Engine Management Light, my experience.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthomas

I have noticed that my Engine Management Light does not come on, as part of the start up check. At first I thought it might be, because it was not fitted. I have an original Puma user manual. And there is no mention or illustration of this light. So I decided to explore further an remove the instrument cluster and check to see if it was actually fitted. Happily! I found it is fitted. However, I also found that as this is the digital facia, there are no lamps fitted. Instead there are LED's hard wired onto the main PCB.
So with no lamps to replace, this either means: (1) the LED is faulty (2) there is a fault on the ECU that is preventing it from illuminating (3) there is a wiring fault between the ECU and Facia PCB.
I could have been the case that this was intentionally disconnected to cover up a fault. I have a Gendan diagnostic unit, and this tells me there is no faults present. I guess I will have to delve further and see if the signal is present during the power on test. Then I will be able to definately say whether the LED is at fault, or it lies somewhere else. If anyone else has similar experiences I would be really interested to know. Cheers

Ok, so the plot thickens? I have taken the instrument cluster out. And I have hooked up a 12v bench supply to the pins for the engine management indicator (LED). It has worked fine.
So there is a working indicator, why nothing on the pre start checks? I moved on and checked out the multi-way socket. And there was my problem. The pin that should connect the LED to the ECU is missing. And looks like it's never been part of the loom.
So my 2000 Puma, doesn't (by design) have a functional Engine Management Indicator.
That's the conclusion of this little venture.

Anythings possible I guess but my iirc Oct 1999 built Feb registered 2000 Puma had a functioning management light.

If it is running a TAPE ECU (W - ish registration)... the light won't work as this model ECU doesn't use the same setup as the later models.
My 51 plate car used to have an Engine Management light until I changed the ECU to a TAPE one :eek:k:

Cheers everyone. This is all beginning to make more sense, thanks to your replies. My next step is to identify the ECU, and that will firmly put this one to bed.
It's never been a problem, it just me combining my love of electrickery and getting to know this fantastic little motor.
Without wanting to look like a complete novice tho, what does FRP's stand for. And what are the pro's and con's of changing the ECU. As I know the previous owner had it remapped to get some extra performance?

If your car is a T, V or a W reg it is highly likely that you have a TAPE ECU that doesn't support the engine management light.
So you have nothing to worry about.
The main benefits of using a TAPE ECU are you can run your car on a de-cat manifold without having problems and you can also get the Racing Puma remap uploaded onto it which has various benefits.

I have a W reg Puma. I guess in all fairness, and giving it a bit of thought. As there is no wire in the loom/connector going back to the ECU. It's quite obvious it's not supported. I did say I'm new at this?!
And knowing the problems having a management light bring. I will just enjoy this lovely little car.
And thanks to everyone who's listened and contributed.
There will be more to come as I explore. My fascination with all things technical, will keep me testing your experiences. Thanks

I appreciate this is an old thread.
Our 1.7 Puma has just failed its MOT Test because the engine management light will not illuminate . This is going to be a nightmare i can see as the MOT tester referred me to a Ford Main dealer for help. :lol:

jimfrp88 said:
If your car is a T, V or a W reg it is highly likely that you have a TAPE ECU that doesn't support the engine management light.
So you have nothing to worry about.
The main benefits of using a TAPE ECU are you can run your car on a de-cat manifold without having problems and you can also get the Racing Puma remap uploaded onto it which has various benefits.

As above. Sounds like an over interpretation of the new rules.

Not an MOT failure if Engine light is on!
My Puma got through it's MOT yesterday, despite the Engine light being on. See the DVLA website for more details, but it is not a failure for cars registered before July 2003 - so ALL Pumas :)
Quote from: https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-8-Nuisance.html

Engine malfunction indicator lamp
Turn on the ignition and check that the engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates and then goes off. On some vehicles it will be necessary to start the engine before the MIL goes off.

You need to inspect MIL fitted to

petrol vehicles with 4 or more wheels, not more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2003

Latest posts

Back