Engine Mod or Engine Upgrade?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr@c

Hi all, I've tried having a scan for this already so I apologise if this has been covered.
I'm basically wondering if upgrading the existing 1.7 engine is the way to go, or just go for a complete upgrade.

But also if an upgrade was chosen, then what upgrade?? Is it worth going for something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0L-Zetec-Black-Top-Engine-Zetec-R-135-BHP-Phase-3-Kit-Car-Race-Brand-New-/300921013693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or is there anything bigger? I'm not gonna pretend I'm an expert when it comes to Ford engines or the Puma for that matter, hence I'm here :lol:

The way I look at it is you can spend up to £1000 to upgrade an engine depending what your doing, such as re-maps, port and polishing and all that stuff, and of course buying a bigger sized engine standard would mean more cost if you wanted to get more out of that. I dunno what do you guys think?
Any help or opinions appriciated :thumbs:

Cheers

EDIT: also is this worth a buy?
http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Puma-1700cc-FRP-Camshaft-Kit_215.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And what else would be good with it?

For the extra 10bhp £1k is not worth it, unless your going to do a lot more to it.. also you've got to think of ECU, gearbox, mounting to change etc etc :lol:

£1000 Budget turbo conversion will get you to 180-200bhp on the 1.7 engine if you do your homework and your handy with that kind of stuff. But I'm no pro, I'm sure someone else will chip in soon.

F2eeman said:
For the extra 10bhp £1k is not worth it, unless your going to do a lot more to it.. also you've got to think of ECU, gearbox, mounting to change etc etc :lol:

£1000 Budget turbo conversion will get you to 180-200bhp on the 1.7 engine if you do your homework and your handy with that kind of stuff. But I'm no pro, I'm sure someone else will chip in soon.

Lol yeah I spotted that about 10mins after I posted ha :roll: I like the idea of turbo but haven't had a lot of experience on that one at all. I'm guessing its probably better to stick with the 1.7 and spend the dosh on that in one way or another?

Also after looking around is it possible to get more out of the 1.6 engine in the long run seeing as there are more mods available? Or in other words there are more options.
I've had a look around the net and there has been people toying with many different ideas regarding modding the 1.7, the turbo seems like more than a job and a half to say the least, I liked that many have mentioned a supercharger but doesn't appear anyone has been successful with that though.

Well what are you wanting the power for? What are you hoping to achieve from it.

Swapping the engine, and I too looked at that same engine, but its not just 1k. As mentioned, you have to change mounts, exhaust, inlet, loom & ecu. Sure that engine also opens up the upgrades easier as for example, you can get turbo manifold for it etc. But that engine is also quite heavy in comparison, so some good strong suspension is needed, not some cheap sports suspension. Changing the engine is expensive and I would budget about 4k if for example I had just a standard puma.

Supercharging has been talked of now and again and I know of only 1 person who got about 65% of the way through the build and then nothing from them. I do know that they then sold the supercharger and then the car. So there is very little in the way of supercharging information for the Sigma.

Turbocharging is also expensive. Yes we have a member who made a 'Budget' Turbo thread, but he is extremely handy with the car and making things. I would also say that 1k for a 'budget' turbo conversion is also naïve.. add another 500-1k on top of that.

One thing that was told to me when I first considered my turbo conversion, was that power corrupts.. and it does indeed. Im not happy with my 1.7 at 240bhp... to the point that im going for a larger engine with more options, but im prepared to spend a good amount of money on it and budgeting about 5k on it.

Even the standard upgrades that everyone goes for, 4-2-1 manifold, cams and ecu etc, it doesn't give much to the car at all. Yes there is a noticeable difference, top speed is nigh on the same and acceleration is only slightly improved.

So again you must ask yourself... what are you wanting it for...

Don't discount the use of nitrous either.

Flying Scotsman said:
Well what are you wanting the power for? What are you hoping to achieve from it.

Swapping the engine, and I too looked at that same engine, but its not just 1k. As mentioned, you have to change mounts, exhaust, inlet, loom & ecu. Sure that engine also opens up the upgrades easier as for example, you can get turbo manifold for it etc. But that engine is also quite heavy in comparison, so some good strong suspension is needed, not some cheap sports suspension. Changing the engine is expensive and I would budget about 4k if for example I had just a standard puma.

Supercharging has been talked of now and again and I know of only 1 person who got about 65% of the way through the build and then nothing from them. I do know that they then sold the supercharger and then the car. So there is very little in the way of supercharging information for the Sigma.

Turbocharging is also expensive. Yes we have a member who made a 'Budget' Turbo thread, but he is extremely handy with the car and making things. I would also say that 1k for a 'budget' turbo conversion is also naïve.. add another 500-1k on top of that.

One thing that was told to me when I first considered my turbo conversion, was that power corrupts.. and it does indeed. Im not happy with my 1.7 at 240bhp... to the point that im going for a larger engine with more options, but im prepared to spend a good amount of money on it and budgeting about 5k on it.

Even the standard upgrades that everyone goes for, 4-2-1 manifold, cams and ecu etc, it doesn't give much to the car at all. Yes there is a noticeable difference, top speed is nigh on the same and acceleration is only slightly improved.

So again you must ask yourself... what are you wanting it for...

Don't discount the use of nitrous either.

Hmmm food for thought, I think they are all out the window for me though, it's not the price that puts me off its more the gains you do or should I say don't get for the money, not to mention the trade offs.

I think of now ill spend a bit of cash on basic upgrades on the 1.7, as there seems to be better options a far as rally or track cars are concerned. That's not to say that I don't love Pumas because I do lol but it will be my weekend "toy" lol thanks for the info :thumbs:

I've had a look into the NOS route looks pretty good and there's a place 20mins from me that supplies, fits and refills NOS, they use Wizards of NOS. Can't get better than that lol. So maybe a part engine rebuild, better cams, flywheel etc etc the usual stuff, then a good shot of NOS might be on the cards 8) :thumbs:

There are many routes to consider.
There is someone on here who fitted nitrous, simply for when theyre overtaking.
If youre after track power, then nitrous will run out quickly.
If you just want a fast car, then an engine or parts upgrade should be considered.

Flying Scotsman said:
There are many routes to consider.
There is someone on here who fitted nitrous, simply for when theyre overtaking.
If youre after track power, then nitrous will run out quickly.
If you just want a fast car, then an engine or parts upgrade should be considered.

Yeah I realised that if using it on track then it would go through a fair bit, but I'd be happy to do all the other engine mods etc, but have the NOS as an added extra as it were just to use when I fancied, maybe for a playful drag on the strip etc, basically for playing lol.

Back