Evaporative emissions control valve problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gargravarr

Hi all,

I try not to post the panicked need-help-right-now questions, but this one could use a quick answer please! Is it safe to drive a car with an 'evaporative emissions control valve' issue? I've just driven Wildcat about 25 miles (20 on motorway), and when I got to my destination I realised the Check Engine light was on - the wheel perfectly covers up the light when I'm driving normally so I didn't see it! I plugged in my Bluetooth widget and pulled a code P0448 (I think, it was a 44x code). The car was also a bit of a pig to start earlier, battery had run down so I needed a jump, could this be related?

I need to head back home, so I'd like to know if there are any risks associated - my research indicates this is something to do with the fuel system and if there's one this you learn with working on cars, it's to respect things where petrol is involved!

Cheers,
Rob

Im far from an expert but iirc this system is an emmissions based system to help the car burn off fumes in the petrol tank and therefore make it run more ecologicaly.

It seems to involve a canister bolted to the underbody near the petrol tank and a valve mounted on the passenger side bulkhead underneath the windscreen.

I dont believe its unsafe to drive the car like this, but Im happy to be challenged on this.

Im breaking a car and have both the canister and valve for sale if needed. :thumbs:

my fiesta brings up an error code on the evap system... ford said ignore it..lol not worth spending money on

can't remember what it was now, but something trivial to do with an earthing circuit from the ecu ...if the code refers to control valve failure then you'll need to replace the valve...if not it may be trivial..

I may be wrong (as I know the date for this kept going back) but I think an EML light or similar will now be an MOT insta-fail so sadly you can't just ignore the unimportant ones now.

Well, I got home safe, thankfully. I'll look into this issue over the Xmas break. I'm aware the error codes are now MOT failures. My Fiesta once passed its MOT with ABS and traction control lights on, not any more. Hopefully it'll be a loose connection or bad earth or something... oh wait, this car's a disaster, it won't be that easy!

The valve is the small cube-like rubber block on the bulkhead to the right of the heater matrix water pipes, takes a vacuum feed off the inlet manifold and the other pipe goes back to the fuel tank via a carbon canister situated near the rear beam.

I think the only electrical connection in the system is the one going in to that, which is worth disconnecting and lubricating.

Short may also indicate the valve itself has failed.

Exact code may yield some more clues.

Latest posts

Back