excessive tyre wear 205/16/45

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwighet

Guys im getting crazy tread wear in the first 1 and a half inch inside of my front wheels.
The rims are 16`s x 7 and tyres are uniroyal rainsport 3..
Ive had the tyres now for 12 mths and get them tracked every 6 mths..
Bearings are good.ball joints seem sound. Also have lwr strut brace and front end is polly bushed and shocks and springs are standard. Also the offset on the rims is et35...

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks
Dwighet

If it's the inner edges that are wearing then tracking alignment won't help.
Sounds like your wheels are cambered in too far at the top.

CherryVimto said:
If it's the inner edges that are wearing then tracking alignment won't help.
Sounds like your wheels are cambered in too far at the top.
That's what I was thinking but there is no camber adjustments on the puma...Or am I wrong?

I'm no expert, but it could be too much toe-out.
You've got 1" wider rims, as well as 16" wheels, so I doubt if the standard Puma tracking settings would be correct for them.
With front wheel drive, as the car accelerates/moves along, the tyres gripping the road tend to move the tracking settings further out from their static settings. Hence, many cars are set with negative track, so when they are moving, the tracking moves towards a parallel setting. Putting more rubber (with more grip) on the road, tends to move it further than normal, so you may get toe-out.
I would be inclined to try a little more negative setting.

Straight away I agree with Rick. Too much toe out.
I had mine set to zero, if I remember correctly the standard setting is slightly toe out to start with. Once mine were set to zero I never had any uneven tyre wear again. Make sure they do it to what you ask (watch them!!) as some do what they want regardless of your request!!

Also had 16" rims for the record but was running 195/45 tyres.

Thanks for the replies lads...
Its starting to make sense now..
When my new tyres land I will try setting them up to Zero and see how that goes..
Its just a shame I have to ditch the two tyres as there is still a good bit of meat left on them apart from the scrubbed inside.

If it were mine, I would look at the last settings, and have a little more toe-in set from there. Then keep an eye on the wear pattern.

YOG said:
If it were mine, I would look at the last settings, and have a little more toe-in set from there. Then keep an eye on the wear pattern.
Unfortunately the place that did the tracking last didn't give me a print out of the set up...
There is another place in town that I used a while back for my jeep Cherokee that is a bit more modern so will go to them next.

Keep a check on them after you get the tracking done... I was checking mine after every couple or so tanks of fuel, after about 10k miles and wear still showing even I stopped checking ;o)

If they are still wearing, get the tracking set in a little more then you could always have the front tyres swapped over if directional or flipped if not ;)

yippeekiay said:
Keep a check on them after you get the tracking done... I was checking mine after every couple or so tanks of fuel, after about 10k miles and wear still showing even I stopped checking ;o)

If they are still wearing, get the tracking set in a little more then you could always have the front tyres swapped over if directional or flipped if not ;)
Sound advice.. Thanks

I don't know if it would work, but a band of duct-tape stretched from rim to rim and then a slowish drive should give you an idea of wear patterns after readjustment.

Back