Famous Literary places near you..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catherine Cookson perhaps for us , she must have based her work on the North East. South Shields has a close connection I believe

Catherine Cookson on screen
South Shields-born Catherine Cookson's books and the films they were made into have captured the hearts of millions of people over the years.

Dame Catherine Cookson's work helped to put the North East firmly on the map.

Her fiction was set in the region and millions of copies were sold around the world.

Then when the books were made into films, North East locations were used, taking the region's locations into people's living rooms.

spike. said:
I;m pretty sure much of Dorset has been featured in books, I;ve been to 100 acre wood, and pooh bridge! lol

You may well have been, but not in Dorset.

100 Hundred Acre Wood,... (actually 1000 Acre wood on mil maps), and Roo's Sandy Pit, Owls Tree are all now within the army training area at Ashdown Forest on Kent Sussex borders

Pooh Sticks bridge - and the houses where A A Milne lived are outside the area, near the village of Hartfield. The whole town/village there is given over to Pooh mania.

crystalpuma said:
I keep meaning to go to Watership Down in Sussex (forgotten which one, sorry!) as that would be super-cool :D

I hate raining on everyone's literary parades - so to speak - but Watership Down is in Hampshire (north), beside which Richard Adams grew up.

Kingsclere exit from the A34 is easiest main road access point.

wdownhants.jpg

expatscot said:
spike. said:
I;m pretty sure much of Dorset has been featured in books, I;ve been to 100 acre wood, and pooh bridge! lol

You may well have been, but not in Dorset.

100 Hundred Acre Wood,... (actually 1000 Acre wood on mil maps), and Roo's Sandy Pit, Owls Tree are all now within the army training area at Ashdown Forest on Kent Sussex borders

Pooh Sticks bridge - and the houses where A A Milne lived are outside the area, near the village of Hartfield. The whole town/village there is given over to Pooh mania.

Well of course I know that, having been to both Dorset & Sussex!

EDIT my text to include the word "also", between I've & been :p

Hmmm not far from me Lewis Carroll
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Carroll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the Cheshire cat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Wilfrid%27s_Church,_Grappenhall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

expatscot said:
The whole town/village there is given over to Pooh mania.

I;d say just one or two buildings! lol

The shop at Pooh corner
P1040208.jpg

Pooh Bridge
P1040212.jpg

Me on Pooh Bridge
ross02.jpg

Pooh Parking
P1040213.jpg

Bok at Pooh Parking
P1040214.jpg

crystalpuma said:
That last picture is lovely! :)

thats the first time I;ve ever posted that!

have one of me & Colin, walking down to the bridge, but the camera hasn;t caught either of our good sides lol

Latest posts

Back